Chapter Forty One

When I woke up, I felt nothing.

Nothing at all.

Which was strange, considering the number of injuries I had.

I was lying in a bed, a hospital bed, it was familiar to me, I just couldn't place how. I moved a hand around to the back of my head, feeling over where there should at least be a lump or a gash. But nothing. In my confusion, I let my hand move down, running over the are where Belial's dagger had been dragged over my back. Nothing, not even an indent in my skin. I hastily grabbed the quilt that had been draped over me and pulled it back.

My leg was completely healed.

Maybe six or seven scars were left, small crescent moon shapes that formed a semi-circle on my leg. There were no stitches, no anything.

I must have been connected to an IV at some point, as the machine was standing right next to my bed, a needle hanging from it loosely, connected to an empty, plastic bag.

I heard the toilet flush.

I pulled the blanket back over my body, my spine going straight as I heard footsteps from a door that has hidden in the corner.

Suddenly I remembered, I was in the hospital, the royal suite. The one I had been brought to after... everything.

My breath caught in my throat as the door opened. Maddox came walking out, dressed so casually that I almost didn't recognise him.

He looked tired, bags were under his eyes and his skin was uneven and discoloured. It wasn't new, almost like he had been like this for weeks.

Of course, during the time I've been away.

His mouth was opened wide, "You're awake." He said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "I'm sorry, I've been- I was in the- How long have you been awake for?"

"Not long," I replied quietly, "Maybe five minutes?"

He nodded, gulping, "They said you wouldn't wake up for at least another day or so. You had a lot of poison in your system,"

I raised a hand to my forehead, "How long have I been asleep for?"

Maddox looked down at his wrist, "Maybe 13 hours or so?"

The room went silent, the tension between us was bubbling. I took a deep breath,

"I've missed you," I blurted out. "I love you, I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking and I was being angry for no reason and-"

"Don't apologise. I was in the wrong and I deserved your treatment, I probably deserved worse." Maddox walked forward and lightly sat down at the end of my bed. "When I heard you talking through the speaker, I had no idea if you were delusional or anything. But I didn't care. Look I don't deserve your forgiveness Elora, truly, I don't-"

I pulled my blanket back and practically jumped at him. I pulled my legs over his body, seating me in his lap as I pressed my lips to his.

Maddox was completely still before his hands slowly slithered around my waist, his lips slowly responding to mine with a force of passion. My hands moved up his collarbone, my fingers curling around his hair that laid at the nape of his neck. 

I had never been kissed before, never experienced anything to the feelings that I was experiencing now. But Maddox certainly knew what he was doing.  One hand was pressed against the back of my head, the other closer to my lower back, keeping me close to him. I pulled away,

"Mark me." I said firmly, "I'm ready."

Gold began to form on the edge of his iris's, showing me that his wolf was clearly agreeing with what I was saying.