Chapter Twenty Six

Maddox was acting off, on edge, tense. Everything felt like that since the meeting, both the one between Zayin and I and the meeting among everyone else. I had inquired about Zayin, his death was not quick. But as the promised, they didn't start until the could no longer see me. A small comfort.

His body hadn't been buried. It was left in the clearing, awaiting either a straying wolf or another representation from KUT.

I had been anxious too, more so than normal. I had no idea why, and when I had mentioned it to Maddox all he said was that I was probably still shaken up.

I knew that wasn't the reason, but as I had no reason of my own, I agreed with him and let it be.

I had begun preparing for our journey to the Southern Continent, we were due to leave in two days. I had thrown a few things in a suitcase, but I had mainly been pulling together a plan. What we needed to discuss, what we shouldn't mention, everything that we needed to make sure that this went as smoothly as possible.

Maddox had been busy. Unscheduled meetings, public announcements, everything had been coming in full strength. I would see him at night and then briefly in the morning.

I knew it was because he was worried, not wanting me in the spotlight. Wolves didn't get married, and until I was marked and mated, Maddox didn't want to risk anything. My mate was an Alpha King,

But I was a human, and the longer I spent in this palace, in this world,

The more I forgot about it.

I would forget how easily my skin would tear, how quickly my breath left my lungs, how fragile my bones were.

I would forget that I'm human, my mind had started persuading itself that I had been turned, that the impossible had happened and I was a wolf. And then I would trip over myself, or mystery bruises would bloom up my legs, or I would ram my ankle into the shower by accident and the harsh reminder came crawling back.

Maddox never forgot. It was an ever-present fact in his mind. He had slid back into one of his overly protective wolfish moods. It happened every so often, and I had experienced it maybe twice before. I was told that it was caused by the idea that my safety was constantly in danger, and since Maddox still refused to shift, that was coming into play as well.

I hadn't left my room for two days.

No one visited me, Tayla turned out to be quite sick. Whatever she had spread to the other pups, so everyone was occupied.

No one except Belial.

He was an alley cat, that so much I was sure of. His golden eyes would stare at me while his mouth made idle conversation. I found I didn't talk, at least not as much as I would in a regular conversation.

Belial was a strange man, he was vain, overly confident and prissy. Yet it was enduring, having someone talk to me like I wasn't a Queen or a soulmate. Since my brothers had returned back home, no one talked to me like a human. Except for Belial. So when he would turn up in my bedroom after not even ten minutes of Maddox leaving, I wouldn't cast him away or demand him to leave. I would let him stay, let him talk, and then let him leave.

The third day was no different. 

"Are you sure I can't come to help?" I asked anxiously, "You shouldn't be doing all of this by yourself Maddox, I've been formally introduced!"

He kissed my forehead goodbye, "It's not safe dove, just stay here for today. I'll be back by three, I'll see you then,"

He never was back by three, closer to five. But I nodded, my gaze not meeting his.