01 ~ AVERY DANIELS

"What if I'm a lesbian?"

"Then you get me a daughter in law instead of a son in law. Just date and have fun."

I let out a chuckle and tease mom, "Aren't you supposed to say take it one day at a time. Go with the flow?"

She rolls her eyes, "Going with the flow is for the ones who don't know what they want out of their lives. I want you to take matters into your hand. Take it one day at a time but you have to leave the day better than you found it."

I pull the blankets up to my chest as the chilly morning air comes in through the window. I look at my mom who's sitting beside me and can't help but notice how much we think alike, because I've decided to take matters into my hands.

I've got a plan, a to-do list.

It took me four years to get around to making one, but thanks to a certain asshole in my life, it's finished:

1. Study your ass off and get into Stanford.

2. Never, I repeat, NEVER! trust anyone in your life. People just abandon you or betray you when the times get hard.

3. Do not talk or think about love. Love is a grave mental disease. It is a dirty trick played on us to achieve cheap satisfaction.

Trust me, I've learned it all the hard way.

She tucks a stray hair behind my ear and speaks, "I don't want you to miss out on the high school fun and this is the last and only year you'll get. Go out and have fun. Just don't forget the lessons you learned from the past mistake. I want you to own this year like it was just made for you."

She bends down and lightly kisses my forehead, "Now get up before you get late for school."

I bury my face deep in the pillow and scream, which comes out muffled and doesn't give me an ounce of satisfaction. I sigh, roll over onto my back and look at the ceiling.

Senior year is probably the worst time to start a new school. People would already have their own friends and groups, and I am going to be left out and lonely for the next year. But at least I would be left alone for the very first time in four years. But it's not enough to calm my nervousness down. I've been on the edge since we moved here to California, from Sea Crest a week ago.

I rub my eyes and think about how much I hate high school or any school in general.

Ughhh!

I quickly get up and rush into the bathroom to get ready. I took a bath last night, so there's no point in taking a bath and being even later.

I hastily head downstairs and grab an apple after getting ready, not in the mood to have breakfast with mom. I don't think I would be able to stomach anything right now.