18 ~ WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

He is everywhere

He is everywhere. 

His presence fills up the whole kitchen. It's strange, him being here lounging in the kitchen.

It didn't even take him five minutes to make himself comfortable in my house.

I pretend he isn’t invading my entire being, but he’s still everywhere. Filling the kitchen.

The entire house.

"I want to ask you a million questions." He says as he munches on the cookies I offered him. 

I smile, as I carefully poke holes in the cake using the meat fork."Shoot."

"Where are you going to college?" He asks.

"Stanford," I reply, "What about you?" 

He slaps a hand on the counter and shouts, "No way! Me too." 

That makes my heart beat a little faster. I look up at him and raise an eyebrow, "For real?"

He nods and smirks, "For real. That means more prank wars." 

"Oh no. No more prank wars. As much as I loved planning creative pranks for you, I am officially over it." I shake my head and start spreading the caramel over the cake.

He makes a non-committal sound in the back of his throat which makes me look up again and glare at him. "Promise me. No more prank wars." 

 "Fine. No more prank wars." He sighs as he walks around the counter and comes to stand beside me.

I laugh, "You sound like you willingly want to become a victim of my evil pranks. Do you want to end up in the ER again, Mr. James? I am sure I can arrange that." I reply as I place the cake on the wire rack to cool and look up at him.

He's just a few inches away from me. Looking over the planes of his face, long eyelashes holding his sea-blue eyes, his full lips part, and awareness suddenly runs through me. He raises his right hand and very slowly slides the pad of his thumb over my right cheek making my eyes flutter close.

It feels like we've gotten closer together even though I am sure neither of us moved. Roman inclines his body towards me. He pauses with his lips a couple of inches from mine. 

We are breathing the same air, a millimeter apart. I had no out. The smallest twitch would bring us into contact. My heart skips a beat. 

Impatient to get it done, I move forward to close the space between us but the moment ends when he clears his throat and takes a step back, making my eyes snap open. Through partly lowered lashes I can see the skepticism etched on his features.

"Uh, you had chocolate on your cheek." He clears his throat again and puts his thumb in the air to show me the chocolate.

"Oh," I breathe out.