09 ~ KNOCK KNOCK, IT'S YOUR PAST

I stare at myself in the mirror and the girl looking back is definitely not me

I stare at myself in the mirror and the girl looking back is definitely not me. I am wearing a knee-length green shift with a modest neckline. It hugs my curves nicely and I've paired it with my black heels which make my legs look longer than they actually are.

I don't know who this Avery is but I like her. I like her because she has a normal life, she has friends, she has a decent reputation, she can go out and have fun without anyone whispering behind her back or calling her a slut. 

I sit on my bed and debate for the hundredth time, whether I should apologize to him or not. Yes, this him we are talking about is Roman James because I know I fucked up real this time. I just wanted him to suffer a bit of embarrassment at the party as he embarrassed me in class. I didn't want him to end up in a hospital.

I've been feeling guilty ever since Garret announced in the cafeteria today that he ended up in the ER last night because of some little prank. He winked at me while he told everyone about it like he's proud of me.

I wanted to apologize, but I don't want to admit to everyone that this was because of me. I mean I know it got out of hand but my intentions were not evil so that counts for something right? 

I was distracted all day in school and on top of that there is this freakin' party and Amelia and Lily convinced me to go with them. So, with my self-conscience nagging at me, I've been worried to death about this party too. I feel like I'm not ready for it right now. My worst nightmare started at a party, that was my first and the last party. But I guess I'll never be ready for it. My mom did tell me to go and try everything again, but I guess I'll always be wary of parties.

"Avery, Kyle is here!" My mom shouts from the living room. I look at myself in the mirror again, pushing all the doubts out of my mind, and head downstairs. Kyle was to pick up me and Lily while Ben will be picking up Claudia and Amelia. Since the party will be crowded, there was no point in going alone and taking so many cars.

As I enter the living room, my mom makes her way towards me, her eyes shining with unshed tears.

"You look so beautiful, my little bear," she says as she pushes a strand of hair behind my ear and looks at me like I'm the most beautiful thing she has ever seen. Her face becomes stern as she lectures me about all the precautions I need to take while I'm there, which by the way I've been listening to all day and still can't make myself feel bored or roll my eyes like a normal teenager because I love her way too much and I know where all of this is coming from.

We both look at Kyle, who has a weird expression on his face as he takes in our mother-daughter exchange. Guilt? Pain? I don't know, but I don't give it much of a thought as my mom tells him to look after me and to not leave me alone at any cost or she'll hang him upside down in our living room, and then she'll chop his fingers off one by one.