Chapter 16

Driving the back roads to his childhood home already brought a sense of serenity to Chance. Memories began to flood his mind, the good ones spent with his Dad bringing a smile to his face.

Tim had been watching him as they drove along, the look of calmness, the sense of healing was evident and it was all because he was here, he was home.

Pulling up to the house they were greeted by Jake who had been prepping the house for their stay. "Hey guys, glad to see you, it's been too long" he told them helping Tim take the bags from the back seat.

"Thanks Jake, I appreciate you doing this. Umm, no one knows we're here, right?" Chance asked.

"Nope, not even your nosey sister has a clue. My taking care of this place while you're away all the time doesn't bring up any questions as to why I would be here" Jake laughed.

"Yeah, thanks man" Chance replied carrying his bag towards the door.

"Tim, uh sorry to hear about what happened.  How ya doin" Jake asked as they approached the steps.

"All good Jake, thanks for asking" Tim answered holding the door for the two of them.

Once inside Jake advised of everything that had been going on with the house and any repairs that had been made due to a recent storm surge a few weeks back. "You're lucky having the house sit this far up from the shore, others in the area weren't so lucky. You had some erosion but not enough to cause significant permanent damage though I did have to replace shutters on the upper level and a few shingles from the winds" he advised.

"Jake, thank you so much for all you've done. I really appreciate it" Chance said grabbing him into a hug. Jake gave Tim a look of question, Chance wasn't usually the type to just give a hug. Tim merely nodded.

Stepping back he cleared his throat, " umm well there's plenty of food and drinks for you guys. And Tim, there are several different types of rootbeer in the fridge. Thought you might like them, that's if you're still not drinking the real stuff" Jake smiled.

"Thanks Jake, nope no real stuff anymore" Tim chuckled. "Hey, how's my little girl doing".

"She's not so little anymore and she's a spitfire" Jake replied.

"Just like her mother, damn you're out numbered" Chance laughed grabbing two beers and a rootbeer from the fridge.

"Tell me about it, but she is unique in her own way" he smiled popping the top on his beer.

After about an hour of catching up Jake head out to give the two privacy.  He knew himself after all these years of friendship with Chance that his real reason for coming home was to recenter, reclaim who he was. He was glad he was no longer alone, that he had Tim who accepted him as he truly was. Jake knew, he'd known since they were kids that Chance was attracted to men more than women. And now he had Tim, the one person who broke through the barriers, the one that brought truth and love to his life.

By days end Tim knew watching Chance walk the shoreline he needed his time alone. This place, his home brought memories both good and bad, but more over brought solice to his pain. Unsure of what he could do or exactly what Chance wanted him to do he decided to give him space, allowing him to seek out his answers but assuring he was near when needed.