Chapter 49

"Wait, what? Slow down, I can't understand you" Bobby tried to whisper into the phone as he lay next to Emily. A quick look at the clock read it was 4 am as he quickly slipped out of bed.

Once out of the room he could see the caller ID...it was Tim. The sound of his voice sent chills down his spine just as it had years ago when he lost Caroline.

"Tim, listen..listen to me. Take a deep breath, calm down and tell me what's happened" he advised.

"He's gone...he's gone" Tim cried into the phone. "You said he'd be safe, they all would, but he's gone."

**********

Tim had fallen into a deep depression, barely eating or communicating with anyone. Every day he sat gazing out the window, his eyes glazed over, withdrawn into his own thoughts. Six months, six long arduous months had passed since that fateful night. No signs, no calls, no ransom demands.

Everyone else had returned to their own homes, their lives on hold, mourning for the loss of their brother. Touring had ceased, Rob and Adam were now stay at home dads while Austin took to writing and working around his home. Every other week he would travel to Dena's to check on Tim and bring his mail with the hopes that something or someone had found Chance. Each time he would sit down next to Tim and try to talk, but all he would do was stare out the window, never acknowledging Austin was nearby.

Bobby had made it his life's mission to find the perps that had caused his brother in law so much pain. Spending long hours at work reviewing forensic reports of John Doe's that had been found after Chance disappearance, desperately hoping it would not be his remains, constantly checking on the whereabouts of Henderson which always remained the same never moving from the location he reported to his parole officer. Reviewing the reports each one had given him the night of the disappearance with a fine tooth comb. The long hours were taking a toll on his and Emily's relationship, he wasn't home and wasn't coming up with any answers. He felt she was blaming him for Chance disappearance, after all he had assured everyone that he would keep them safe. Feeling hopeless at times, he didn't let it show, and he wouldn't stop till he found him, at what ever the cost.

Dena stood in the doorway giving a slight wave as Bobby exited his car. Dropping his head, he turned and walked towards his house. Dena looked to the skies, praying silently for guidance and answers just as she had every single day, refusing to believe this was all hopeless. He would be found, she knew it in her heart. As she returned inside Tim slowly turned his head towards her, the glimmer of hope faint in his eyes. It broke her heart to see her son this way, and even more to let him know nothing had changed. Trying to coax him to come to the table for dinner, he merely said no thank you and went upstairs to his room as she stood watching him drift further away.

Reaching for the box upon the closet shelf, Tim pulled it close to his chest. Sitting on the floor he slowly removed the lid. Photos of happier times, intimate times, the life he had always dreamt of  was now a mere memory in a box. Tears escaped his eyes as he pulled out a hat, the hat Chance had worn in the Constant Sorrow video. Gripping it tightly he took a deep breath, the scent of his one true love still lingered, "please, please come back to me...I can't live anymore...please" he whispered.

**********

"I don't understand, why can't we help him, he needs our help. This is wrong, unfair, he doesn't deserve this" she exclaimed watching as he lay upon the floor.

"It's not for us to fix, it's not our purpose" he explained.

"Just what the hell is our purpose then" she demanded, walking closer to him, reaching for his shoulder.

"He can't feel you, your touch any longer" he advised her.

Perplexed she withdrew her hand, " why, why not."

"You know why" he replied.

"No, no, I will not accept that, it wasn't part of the plan" she retorted.

"It's not your plan, or mine. It's his...he surrendered" he reminded her.

********

"So is this how it ends, this is your revenge?" he sarcastically asked the man behind the desk.

"This is only the beginning" he stated, pouring another drink.

"Just what else do you have planned. You took away the one person that meant the world to him, that's broken him. I don't think there is much more you could do" he replied.

"You have no idea what I'm capable of...and neither does he" he smirked as he sipped his drink.