T H E B E G I N N I N G

"God you're heavy Hyun Ae!" groaned Kai as his legs felt wobbly from picking me up for so long.

"Just a minute..." I say softly as I settle my torch and tug it in my tracks and flung a leg over the boundary wall of the school.

Apparently our mid term examinations were just a week away and me, Kai and Yeonjun as it is hadn't studied one bit. Not even a single subject for the record.

Beomgyu was surely at ease because that nerd was ready with all his subjects and here we were literally freaking out. If we flung this time, it would mean our deaths. My parents would abandon me without second thoughts.

So the three of us had smartly come to a conclusion that we won't be able to do last minute studies so why not just steal the question papers from the staff room one fine night.

And that night was today.

Kai jumped over the boundary wall after me. "What do you eat? Two whole cows?" he joked as he settled his favorite red jacket and dusted off some dirt.

My cheeks flushed with embarrassment but I try to hide it with my eye roll. "At least not like you... Healthy food fan." I say air quoting the last three words and this time it was him who did an eye roll.

"Guys are y'all in yet?" Yeonjun's voice comes through our ear pieces and we nod simultaneously.

Me and Kai were in charge of sneaking in two copies of question papers for each subject and Yeonjun would be out, guarding and telling us if any danger was coming our way.

"Good. Now hurry!" Yeonjun whisper yelled and for some odd reason, we both obliged to his command and broke into a rush.

We ran through the dark and empty corridors. Honestly, now that I see my school at night, I think people could shoot for a good horror film out here. It was so spooky. I tried not to look at the dark classrooms which looked spookier now than in the day when our rude old monstrous teacher Mr. Gong Bai Kung teaches.

"Here!" Kai whispers as he points at the staff room door. I beam as he just turns the knob to open the door but it never opens.

"What happened?" I asked curiously as I see his face growing pale.

"It's locked..." he mumbles.

"Damn we're doomed... It's locked Yeonjun!" I speak into my ear piece. Kai was on the verge of tears.

"What!?" Yeonjun snaps and I could hear the heart break in his voice.

"Now what?" asks Kai stomping a feet, but thankfully not too loud.

"Wait... Let me think..." muttered Yeonjun as we stand silently for two minutes, with heads hung low and arms crossed against our chests.

"Idea!" Yeonjun says joyfully. "Hyun Ae you have a braid right?"

I share a look with Kai and say, "...yes?"

"So you have pins right?" he asks.

"Oh my god genius!" Kai beams and thanks Yeonjun as he pulls out a pin from my hair without my permission.

"Oww that hurts!" I whine. "You could've just asked for it!"

"Sorry hehe." says Kai as he crouches down and starts picking the lock.

"Do you know how to?" I ask with an unsure look.

"Hmmm... I had watched a video about it." says Kai focussing on the lock. "Put your torch here. I can't see!" he grumbles.

"Oh yeah.." I say as I throw the flashlight. "You'll be Rank #1 thief in the future." I chuckle.

"Thanks." he said mindlessly as he successfully picked the lock. "Wait what?" he turned to me as he realized what I just said and I couldn't help but burst out laughing.