R A Y O F D A R K

"Before telling you about what happened in Casino Royalé, I think I should tell you from where it started..." said Taehyun after what seemed like hours. He had clenched his fists so tight that his knuckles had turned white and there was a weird kind of shiver running through his body which I couldn't describe through words. His jaws were pressed together as if he was trying not to shout and his eyes looked at the floor to the side, as if he was seeing what he was going to tell me now.

"It started last year... With Yeonjun." he said as I felt how dry his throat must've gotten through his croak. He took a seat as if it was getting hard for him to stand with every passing second.

I let out a light inaudible gasp when I heard him say Yeonjun. What did he start? What did he do so wrong? I sat to the seat opposite to him as my entire attention was focussed on him and he started saying the tale.

< 1 year ago >

(3rd Person's POV)

The papers from the unit tests had just come out and Yeonjun, Hyun Ae and Huening Kai was pretty depressed but not really surprised from the marks they got. Huening Kai was still better off because he had scored average in all the subjects, as for Hyun Ae, she had failed a subject and the rest were still okay. But Yeonjun was the worst this time. He had failed half the subjects and things weren't going to get better after this. Little did he himself know, that it was going to take a rather scary turn.

"Don't worry... You at least don't have your parents to answer to or get grounded." Hyun Ae said breaking the silence and grabbing the said boy's attention as he seemed to be zoning out in a deep thought.

Yeonjun was an orphan unlike Hyun Ae who lived with her parents or Beomgyu whose parents lived on the other end of the city or Kai whose parents were always abroad. He was just like Taehyun, an orphan... Who lived with his friend and did his schooling from the money his parents left him before dying in the car accident. He really should've been the one who didn't bother but it was not the deal here.

He was rather worried. Worried for his future. If he keeps on getting these poor marks how would he make his living? How will he get a good job? His parents money would end at some point and then he'll have nothing and only be dependent on his friends' mercy. And just the thought of it made him angry.

Yeonjun turned to his friends forcing a smile as he said, "Yeah, you're right. Anyway, I'll be heading home early today. I feel tired today." he lied as the guys have him a look. "You alright?" asked Beomgyu raising an eyebrow. "Want me to just go with you?" he offered.

"No no. Y'all hang out, I'll go. Don't worry, I just want to sleep." said Yeonjun giving a sheepish chuckle and scratching the back of his head.

"Okay... If you say so..." said Beomgyu and shrugged.

"Take care!" Kai exclaimed with a pleasing smile and he nodded at his friend.

He took a last look at Hyun Ae who hadn't said anything. "Jagi don't you want to say anything to me?" he joked a bit making the girl get flustered and look away. "Yah! Go home and sleep!" she exclaimed hurriedly as the guys had a good laugh at her reaction and Yeonjun left.

He had nowhere in mind, he just wanted to be left alone and wander around. Maybe explore the city? He was walking by the bridge over the river as he saw the beautiful sunset across the glassy water. It was really breathtaking as the sky turned a hue of orange and red. If he had a camera, he'd definitely click it's picture. The birds flew by in front of his sight indicating it was time for the moon to come out any moment. He hummed and sighed to himself before turning away to walk aimlessly again.

He turned around a corner as he curiously looked around at the dull, tall, grey coloured buildings. He had never come in this area before now that he thought of it. Suddenly he heard laughter and chuckle from nearby. He followed the sounds and looked to see a group of men sitting on the ground in the river bank distributing money among themselves.

He tried to understand what was happening when all the cards and bills of money just made it clear. They were gambling.

He was about to turn away when one of the men noticed him. "Hey boy!" he called Yeonjun making him freeze in his spot and turn around after a moment. "Me?"

"Yes you. Come here. What are you seeing? Spying on us?" one of the drunk men chuckled as Yeonjun mentally scrunched his nose in disgust at them. "N-No... I was just passing by." he replied.

"Wanna play?" the man who called him asked showing some money and flaunting it in front of his face. "I just won this all." he said proudly looking at the little heap of money.

Well now the sight of money was tempting him. If he could win all this all the time then life would be so easy for him. No, he can't do it. He scolded himself for getting swayed and thought of politely declining but before he could say anything, the man beat him to it.

"Don't worry, I'll bet my money for you. If you lose then my money is gone but if you lose, you get all the money." said the man with a grin which screamed danger but if course Yeonjun failed to read it as he thought that he had no risk and there's no harm to try it out.

"Okay..." he mumbled and joined the little circle of those grown up men as the game started. While playing, he learnt a couple of tricks drawing more of his attention as he slowly started enjoying it and before he knew, he won! This thrilled him and motivated him to play more so he did. He played for maybe four times and owing to his brilliant luck, he won each time!

That day he came back home really happy with his pockets full of big notes, enough to go and give a treat to all his friends in a good ramen shop. His excited heart was yearning to tell someone about this, but Beomgyu was showering at the moment. He wouldn't tell Beomgyu anyway because maybe he might scold him. Anyway, he had to answer where he was all this while when he said he'll be heading home but he told himself he'll make up a believable excuse.

He took out his phone and thought of dialing Kai's number. He waited gingerly for the younger to pick up and as soon as he did, Yeonjun chimed in happily.

"Hey yo! Wanna try something really cool and awesome!!"

to be continued

a/n : So the story is taking a scary turn and yes the twist has officially set foot on our story!!

Also I'd like to thank you all so much for 3k+ reads! You don't know how happy that makes me!

Also, Can't You See Me is like my soul song lol, I mean TXT is my soulmate group anyway—
But whatever, after Can't You See Me, I am so sure that this story fits their story concepts so well~
*evil laugh*