•10

"[f/n]?"

You feel light tapping on your shoulder as you wake up, groaning and sitting up. Everything's blurry as you adjust to the bright light surrounding you, but eventually your eyes settle on Yosano in front of you.

You suddenly remember last night and simultaneously remember telling Atsushi you'd stay home and that you'd be fine.

"Yosano! I...please don't tell Atsushi. And no, I don't know what happened to Akutagawa."

Yosano raises a brow and just sighs with a shake of her head, placing a hand on her hip as she realizes there is no point in arguing with you.

"It's none of my business anyways. But Atsushi is asking about you in the office since he couldn't find you at your home this morning." She states in a matter of fact tone.

"This morning?"

"It's noon. There hasn't been any new cases today though so don't worry you won't be in trouble."

Your eyes widen and you immediately get off the infirmary bed, peaking at yourself in the reflection of a window and cringing at the sight.

"I can lend you some extra clothes if you want, you can return them another time." Yosano says as she catches your discontent at your image, and you smile at her sheepishly as you nod.

Minutes later, you had washed your face and fixed up your hair, wearing a navy blue skirt and a white collared tank top. Not really your style, but still looking better than you had before.

"Looks good on you" Yosano compliments you as you head out towards the office, and you nod towards her with gratitude.

When you make it to the office, everyone turns to you and looks over your outfit in confusion, but no one says anything except Dazai, who acted like nothing out of the ordinary had happened the other day and cheerfully pointed out your beauty. At that, Atsushi glares at him before turning to you.

"[f/n]!"

You turn to the side and see Atsushi waving you over to his desk, finishing up signing some papers for Ranpo as a favour.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine..., thank you for yesterday by the way."

"O-oh! Yeah of course, it wasn't a problem" Atsushi laughs nervously, almost signing the table instead of the paper.

"[f/n]...I was so worried about you yesterday, and I'm sorry about keeping so much from you after your coma. I didn't think Dazai would..." he pauses, meeting your stern gaze and getting more nervous the more you tried to control the rising resentment for the brought up actions.

"It's fine. Don't mention it." You cut him off before he continues, not in the mood to lose your composure after last night.

"Wait! I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go out somewhere after I finish up here..?" Atsushi asks before you get a chance to walk away, but it takes you a second to respond, leaving the light-haired young man a blushing nervous wreck, regretting the moment he opened his mouth.

Maybe it'll be a good distraction. Just for a day.

"Ok."

"Ok?"

"I'll go out somewhere with you as soon as you're done."

•••

It was one hour after he asked that the two of you finally headed out for the day, strolling through the city before stopping at an icecream shop, the both of you getting a cone with your favourite flavours to cool off after the growing humidity left over from the other day's rain. After that, the both of you carried casual conversation, trying to stay away far from the topic of the Port Mafia and your past. It wasn't until you caught sight of the port that your mind started to wander, and you couldn't help but ask something you hadn't thought about much until yesterday's repeated accusations of being manipulative.