•19

"If I wanted to prove something, I wouldn't do it this way"

You can't breathe out of fear to break the fragile, soft moment between you and Akutagawa.

Even while I'm enemy of the Port Mafia...he doesn't care enough about that fact to mention it. He's seen worse than what I've done, I know...

Akutagawa isn't confined to mafia rules.

You don't know if you should answer, or how to forgive yourself for everything you allowed to happen leading to this moment you wished had come easier, but the time on a clock across the street distracts you, and you almost gasp looking at the time.

"I have to go" you say, barely audible as even you wish you didn't have to hear yourself say those words.

Akutagawa looks you over once more with a deep sadness that wasn't there before, just now realizing you were not his to keep, but to hold in brief moments like these. He lets go of the hold he had on you, but not enlarging the space between you two.

You try to force yourself to just walk away now, to go back home without another glance back, to engrave the form of this man in front of you deep in your memory so you wouldn't forget how beautiful he looked so close to you, under the light of the moon and stars of the deep night.

What if...

•••

One shot, and Rashomon activates to block the bullet from hitting either of you.

Another shot comes from your gun and straight into the other person's leg, their scream of agony echoing in the building where the business had supposed to take place.

"You're going to stay put while I use my abilities to dig out where the hell you put the Port Mafia's money, ok?" You announce as you walk towards the person you shot and they try to deny your plan.

"See, by talking to me you've already given me permission to"

You activate your ability 'In a Grove' and crouch down to the level of the person still in pain from the bullet you shot into his leg.

You forced your hand against his forehead, and concentrate on your ability.

While your ability is primarily and easily used to distort someone's memories or have them lost in their own mental maze for a decided period of time, you could do much more than that if you connected further with the person.

Physically, you and the person were just sitting there now, outlined in a pale green glow that came form your ability, but mentally, you were both in a dream-like state in a Grove you created, where nothing truly fit, where the person was stuck almost putting together a puzzle while trying to escape their new reality.

You learned how to use that to search through their thoughts. You compared it to reading and re-arranging computer data.

In no longer than a minute, you breathe out heavily as you let go of the person and look back towards Akutagawa with a triumphant grin.

"Got the location. It's not in this building, so we can go now"

Akutagawa smiles for a brief second before using his Rashomon to kill the man suffering on the floor, beckoning you to follow and to not fall behind.