•40

Your hands bring themselves up to his shoulders - his own dropping around your waist - holding on to him as you let him kiss you with fire, and you kiss back with desire in return. It's an explosion through all your senses, and suddenly all your crying and anger had washed themselves away from your system, every touch hot, leaving traces that stay long after.

At one point, you push him away from you just enough to break apart your kiss and you watch as both your eyes flutter open, a slight panic in his eyes as you move your hands to his chest and keep him apart from you, stopping any further advances he could make. You know he's afraid he's done something wrong, you know he's afraid of your reaction.

This man has been punished for too much in his life.

It's ok Akutagawa. It's ok...

I just need reassurance, something to hold on to again.

"I can't let this keep going if this is where it's all going to end." You whisper to him, one of your hands straying from his shoulders to his soft, messy hair, playing with it in your hands as you search his silver eyes for more than just fear.

Akutagawa looks your face over, a light blush tinting his cheeks as he welcomes your affectionate touch. He loosens his grip on you enough to take one small step back, but not enough to fully let go of you.

"I'm sorry" Akutagawa mumbles a bit awkwardly, though he tries to keep the nervousness he was obviously feeling to himself. You can feel the insecure aura around him stemming from a child that never learned to love and be loved, your hold on him becoming firmer. He stops himself from flinching away out of instinct, allowing your touch to envelop him.

"I'm not going to hurt you the way they have. I just don't want to come back to nothing." You assure him that you words are far from lies. Akutagawa pauses, heart thumping as he leans in to you, recollecting his calm demeanour, voice lowering.

"I want you, [f/n]. I don't want to forget you again...I can't have you forget me." The dark haired man states, gently catching your wrist from the hand that was playing with his hair, taking a hold of the hand in his, closing his eyes and bringing it over his heart.

"Please don't forget me."

The door suddenly opens up, and both you and Akutagawa immediately let go of each other, coloured light coming from the Port Mafia stained glass windows illuminating the dark infirmary room, both your eyes squinting at the sudden flood of light. As you lift your hand up to cast a shadow over your eyes, you recognize the tall figure of Dazai standing at the doorway,  his facial expression unreadable.

"[f/n], we have to go."

"Wait, Dazai-"

"We have overstayed our welcome."

He's right. I can't stay here.

You let out a deep, frustrated breath as you slowly nod towards Dazai, stepping away from Akutagawa with small difficulty, walking away without another word. As you do, you feel a tug at your wrist, and you look back to see Akutagawa holding on to you, a pleading look in his eyes of mercury.

You stare at him helplessly, seeing the sternness in Dazai's face as you glance towards the brunette with regret.

"Let go of her, Akutagawa, please. Don't make a scene."