•18

"You know, you're less mean to me every day" You comment smugly, although Akutagawa just turns to eye you curiously, looking away when you smile sweetly.

"Or, you're finally keeping up with me and there is no need for me to scold your very breathing"

"Or, you're starting to realize I'm not everything you thought I was"

Akutagawa looks displeased at your rebuttal, but because he simply ignores it, you are sure it's because you were right.

"What do you want?"

"What?"

"We aren't even working right now, you just decided to take up my time. So what do you want?"

Although he sounds irritated, you know Akutagawa didn't actually mind your company. You did believe, however, that he didn't know why you were there.

"Nothing, I just wanted to join you on your walk very late at night".

"I'm not that ignorant, [l/n]."

You frown finally, stopping yourself in the middle of walking and looking at Akutagawa, crossing your arms in front of your chest out of stubbornness.

"We aren't working right now, I don't owe you any type of explanation"

"Ok, then good night" Akutagawa says, walking away from you without so much of a look back.

"Do you actually care about anything? Or are you really just the mafia's silent rabid dog?" You blurt out to him, the quiet of the night sucking up every little sound made, like it was enclosing just the two of you away from any other distractions.

"I don't waste time thinking about such petty things"

"So you don't?"

"Haven't you heard? I'm a heartless devil"

"You do have a heart"

"You'll change your mind"

"I know you have one despite what others say. But do you care at all?"

Akutagawa turns towards you, covering a cough before putting his hands in his pockets and tilting his head slightly upwards.

"Why are you always so nosy? What do you get out of wasting my time?!" He snaps, leaning in to your direction.

"Because you confuse me! You're always in my head and I'm always saying things I don't mean, and sometimes I don't know what I do mean at all. I'm out here doing irrational things because of you, and you just obsess over your own self doubt and need for Dazai's approval when you don't need it! You don't need anyone to tell you that you're strong, because you are. You've survived this long. I'm not trying to waste your time, I'm trying to know who you are. I care...and it means something knowing if you do, about anything"

Your cheeks turn red and heat up as you raise your voice, the silence that surrounded you both cracking.

Akutagawa just blinks and looks you over, and you are unable to tell if he is shocked, losing his temper, or simply trying to figure out how to react.

"I care, and I've proved it to you by my Rashomon not tearing you apart".

"I wasn't asking specifically about me".

•••

"Come here" you demand, getting a look of mild disapproval from Akutagawa.