•25

From the moment you hear the answer to your burning question, you can't seem to concentrate on anything else. During the car ride, you had fallen into panic and started yelling and banging on the screen that separated you from the front to be heard. You kept repeating your question of how long it had been, and it was only a few minutes too long when you received an answer.

10 months.

It's almost been a year.

How does one react to that? You didn't know. You wanted to cry, but for some reason it felt wrong to. You were partially relieved it hadn't been longer, knowing it could have been a lot worse...but...it left you in utter pained bewilderment nevertheless.

Akutagawa has forgotten about me for almost a year.

Does it even matter that I made it out?

Am I sure that anything can be done? Or is death just being cruel in letting me watch a hopeful illusion before taking me over?

No.

It can't be.

I promised this wouldn't be the end-!

You heart burns, and the sting stays evident until it becomes a normal ripple throughout your body.

Being too much to handle, you numb your surroundings, and before you know it, you had arrived at a tall business building, glittering silver in the brightness of the day, the sky reflecting off it's outer walls. It didn't seem as cold and secretive as the Port Mafia's headquarters, but still it took a lot in you to enter without anxiety sparking up. Once inside, and to your surprise, you were not treated like some sort of prisoner, but instead a guest. It was all refreshing, but nothing settled the uneasiness that had grown inside you ever since Fitzgerald gave you today's date.

"M-Miss [l/n]?"

A soft, feminine voice calls to you from a corner of the waiting room you were currently left in, and it takes you a while to react. Once you do, your eyes land on a petite young woman with short light brown hair, a white blouse with a long, mahogany skirt, a light cloak draped over her shoulders, ribbons in her hair, and big, thin, round glasses. She looks nervous, holding a few papers close to her, but she watches you with a certain determination.

You don't say anything, and neither does she, but the woman does walk over to you shyly, standing about a meter in front of you. She looks down at her papers, and then at you, conjuring the courage to speak up.

"I'm Louisa May Alcott...or just...Louisa I guess...or maybe Alcott." Louisa trails off, darting her eyes away from you and back before finally closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, opening them again as she continues speaking.

"Mr. Fitzgerald has sent me to help you settle in...a-and he needs you to sign a contract of a sort. Oh! B-but that's later so don't worry...if you could just...follow me..." she instructs, but her instructing sounds more like a question.

You don't show any sign of acknowledgment to what she just said, and so when Louisa steps back in expectation you'll follow, her attempt at more confidence lowers significantly. The young woman is clearly confused with what she was supposed to do if you didn't listen, and by the looks of her, she didn't seem like someone that would resort to any sort of force.

I should listen to her...

But they might just stuff me in another room.

Then how do I get out?

How do I keep the voices from coming back?

How many times will I have to replay his words in my head?