•23

Say it.

Say it back before you can't.

Say it back before I have to wait another lifetime to hear those words.

Silence meets the words that you poured out of your heart. Then, it was as if the world had heard your pleas and stopped all time, allowing you to stand there with the man you love for as long as the world could hold.

You search Akutagawa's eyes, and just as you think your heart's about to break from the silence, the silence breaks with the few words that sounded like a sweet melody to your ears.

"I've always loved you, [f/n]". Akutagawa says it as if it was obvious, like he couldn't believe you still couldn't accept it. Like he had rehearsed those words in his head millions of times and only just now they had been spoken aloud, and he couldn't believe it.

Thank you.

One of your hands trail down to his shoulder, and all you want to do is lean in, but desire isn't something either of you had the luxury to give in to.

Akutagawa with his fear of never being good enough, and you with the heavy knowledge that by having him in-front of you now, vulnerable, you were about to make another mistake; but for once, not because he is what consumes your mind day and night.

Mori is watching, and you know he's waiting to see what you've decided.

As if he doesn't already know...

I'm sorry Akutagawa. I don't want to leave you again. I never have.

You hate yourself for your decision; the non-selfish decision, despite knowing it's what should be done. Oh, how you wish you were the person you were years ago, where all you'd choose is what was best for you.

Time seems to resume as you activate your ability, 'In a Grove', and confusion and shock fills Akutagawa's face, Mori chuckles behind you, and you connect yourself deep into the mafia's rabid dog's network of thoughts and memories. Everything that made you and him.

At least it'll hurt me more than you.

There's nothing the person affected can do once you activate your ability, but for some reason every time you will yourself to take away Akutagawa's memories, you feel a mental push, like he was fighting back your ability and trying to stop you.

That feeling broke your heart.

Emptiness follows every click you make to take away all traces of you, and it's the kind of vacantness that little by little grows a void, sucking in every hint of that warm nostalgia in and leaving you with nothing but harrowing wonder.

As you increase the strength of the effect of your ability, something goes wrong. While you usually are able to see the image of the person affected by the ability wandering aimlessly in a grove full of reality altering visions, you start to feel yourself feel as lost as them. In this case, as lost as Akutagawa felt. It was cold in the grove, a night dark without any stars surrounded you. I'm glitches, you start to see exactly Akutagawa's point of view.

That's when erasing each memory grows more painful. Literally.

Now, while you yourself felt the sorrow of loss for needing to do such an action to someone you valued, you got to feel what he has felt as it disappears...almost similar to passing on information instead of deleting it.

There's so much despondency...so much emotion bottled up. It's overwhelming me.

•••