Chapter XXXI

Jennie's POV 

"Get out!"

"Nini," Lisa protested weakly as her dark brown orbs, now filled with desperation, latched onto Jennie as she stood up.

"I'm serious," Jennie warned through gritted teeth as she dropped Lisa's clothes into her lap.

Still only in her t-shirt and underwear, Jennie folded her arms and watched Lisa expectantly, waiting for her to get dressed and leave. She couldn't remember the last time she had been this mad; she definitely wasn't thinking straight.

"Nini, please," Lisa tried again after pulling her shirt over her head and standing up to step into her shorts. Her eyes never left Jennie, even thought Jennie's eyes were currently burning a hole into the floor.

She didn't want to look at Lisa.

She couldn't look at Lisa.

How could her own girlfriend have betrayed her like this? Lisa knew how Jennie felt about her mother. It had taken so much for Jennie to even open up about all of that, and now Lisa had dropped this bombshell on her out of nowhere.

"Aren't you going to read it?" Lisa asked sadly, her eyes falling to the envelope Jennie was crumpling in her tightly clutched fist. 

"No," Jennie spat, shoving the letter in Lisa's direction as she nudged her toward the door.

"Nini," Lisa pleaded, stumbling aside slightly as Jennie reached to open her door. The sound of the endearing nickname falling off of Lisa's tongue in a shaky voice made Jennie's heart ache.

"You had no right," Jennie choked, her own voice finally faltering after stringing more than two words together. "I asked you not to do this. I didn't want this Lisa," she added. Lifting her eyes briefly before they fell to the floor of the hallway where Lisa was now standing. "I told you I wasn't ready." she finished, shaking her head slightly as she bit her lip, trying to suppress the tears she felt quickly building.

"Were you ever really going to be ready?" Lisa questioned, her eyes still searching for Jennie's.

"I," Jennie stuttered, taken back by the question. "I don't know." She felt her blood begin to boil slightly and before she could even try to calm herself down she saw Lisa trying to hand her back the letter.

The letter from her mom.

The mom that abandoned her on her birthday.

The mom that just left, without any explanation or even an attempt of contact.

Well, until now.

Jennie scoffed, folding her arms over her chest finally lifting her eyes to glare at Lisa.

"So you just decided that you'd make the decision for me?" Jennie challenged, growing increasingly defensive. "you think that just because we're sleeping together you what, know me better than myself now?"

Jennie saw Lisa's eyes widen and she quickly realized how that had sounded. She could see the hurt in Lisa's eyes, but she selfishly ignored it. They were both hurting right now, and her own hurt was messing with her head.

"I'm not ready," Jennie mumbled, once again unable to look Lisa in the eye.

"Ready for what?" Lisa asked through a stifled sob. 

Jennie wasn't sure they were still talking about her mom.

"I don't want to talk to her, Lisa." Jennie replied, quickly redirecting the conversation. "How did you expect me to react? How exactly did you expect all of this to go?" She questioned, lifting her eyes again to search Lisa's.