1.5

" my beautiful mate "   +

+

After hours on hours of torture, vervain mixed with spitting insults, Stefan had grown tired, too weak to keep his barriers up any longer.

"I'm impressed. You've got discipline, Stefan. It's not going to do you much good, but...Just let go, honey." Gloria places another vervain-covered hand on his chest, Stefan's screams echoing off the empty bar.

"There you go. There you go." Images of the couple together flash in Gloria's eyesight, "There's the girl with the necklace. You love her. You'd do anything for her. And you have. A lot of darkness, a lot of guilt. All to keep her away from Klaus. Why would he be interested in one girl?"

"Don't do this. Don't do this." The youngest Salvatore grumbles weakly.

"She's the doppelgänger. She's supposed to be dead, and that's why Klaus can't make hybrids, isn't it?" The older witch laughs, obviously getting a kick out of torturing the poor man.

"Well, this is creepy." A familiar voice, dark and sadistic, interrupts the witch's sinister fun. Gloria turns around, ready to confront her intruder, but was immediately met with a stake to her neck. The witch gasps, her hands falling to her wound, before collapsing to the floor in a dead heap. Katherine Pierce glances at the injured Salvatore slyly, "maybe you do need my help after all."

Stefan is wrapping Gloria's body in a sheet, now fully clothed and healed. Katherine watches on warily, her dark eyes following his every move. "I've been thinking about your diabolical plan."

"Oh?" The young Salvatore peers over quickly, "do tell."

"Well, you must know that Klaus is too paranoid to ever fully trust you.. Dakota? Maybe. But, that bond is still new and Klaus isn't ready to give up that big bad hybrid role. But the sister, she loves you like it was yesterday. She's the easier mark. But you can't just pretend to care, because Klaus will know better, so you do the opposite. You bond with him; make her feel left out. That will only make her want you more." The older doppelgänger explains.

"Oh! So you mean, I'm, uh, I'm taking a page out of the Katherine Pierce playbook." Stefan retorts.

Katherine smirks subtly, "The only question is why, Stefan? I mean, I get it, you want to keep Klaus away from Mystic Falls, but...What else do you expect to get from it? Your sister is mated to him, meaning there's no getting her back unless you want to be brutally tortured and murdered by an original for hundreds of years."

Stefan shakes his head, "You know what's funny? You keep talking to me like I actually trust you enough to tell you anything."

"Oh, come on, Stefan, we're beyond that. I saved you from Hilda the high voodoo priestess." Replies the evil brunette.

With another sigh, the Salvatore glancing around reluctantly before drawing closer to his ex lover, "Okay. Dakota and I knew them, back in the twenties. They were running from someone. Someone who scared them."