2.2

" I won't breathe to see the day where my soulmate dies

see the day where
my soulmate dies. "
+

Dakota could be trapped in her own thoughts for hours before her subconscious brought her back to reality, deeming it too dangerous for her to lurk any further in the depths of her messed up mind. In this instance, though, she was trapped for a while; too long. It was almost as if her brain wanted her to creep around, to figure out what was causing her such distress for the past week.

  She managed to avoid confrontation from her brothers and their lover for over two days now, the girl scaring them off with a locked door and a hiss that threatened their throats if they attempted to disturb her peace. But, there came a time where Dakota regained some of her abilities, her mind reading strong enough to the point where she was able to decipher the jumbled thoughts up in Elena's brain one morning she decided to visit the eldest Salvatore for a drink.

  With her stomach in knots, she listened hard, meticulously. Each word and thought that occupied her brain was pity-filled, her human heart aching for the Salvatore sister who would surely collapse in agony at the news; that they couldn't save her. It lead Dakota to cry out, her silent sobs an indicator of how drastic her life had become in a matter of months. She then didn't feel like attending her own pity party any longer, the cake of sorrows she's been feeding herself for days becoming too stale for her liking. The girl had to make a choice, a scary one, but selfless nonetheless.

  That was two days ago; two days of pent up thoughts, the girl drowning in her demons that suffocate her ruthlessly. She had made her decision, one that would save her loved ones and their own, but put a damper on their lives forever. But, Dakota didn't seem to care at this point. She would die either way.

   "Hey."

Dakota's eyes snap up briefly to see the concerned gaze of the Gilbert girl of whom took it upon herself to come up and explain her distress. Her ocean blues then return to the scenery out of the window, her long black hair blowing down her back as a slight breeze drafts through the open space.

  "Hey."

  "I-"

  "You came to tell me that I can't live without Klaus." Dakota decides to rip of the bandage herself, not wanting to hear some explanation that'd only further her sadness. "That you guys still plan on killing him. That maybe Bonnie will be able to heal my broken soul, fill that void back up." The girl pauses, her sockets springing with tears, "listen, Elena. I don't want to fight you guys on this. I know my mate is dangerous, he isn't good for any of you to be around. I won't stop you guys from waking Mikael."

  Elena's lips part in surprise, her eyes soft as the human approaches the immortal slowly, the girl's warm grasp finding its way onto her upper back. "Dakota-"

  "Don't-" the girl shakes her head, "all my life, Elena, I've dreamt of being with a man who loves me for me, as I do him. All my years I spent with my humanity off, I didn't realize how much I've missed out on. Love, family, friends. I let it slip away from me, from my brothers, from Klaus. I've gone all this time without realizing I had a soulmate, someone who'd be by my side forever, growing and prospering together, all because I was too selfish to feel." The girl's glossy blues meet Elena's own teary gaze, "and love, Elena, is such a beautiful thing. I see it in you, in Stefan, and in Damon. They love you, more than you could ever imagine. And I have the pleasure of delving into that world, experiencing what it's really like to see true love; through the eyes of others."