1.8

" that all you got brother? " +

+

  "You're an idiot, you know that?"

  Dakota peers up at her younger brother as he paces around, obviously distressed about the threat Klaus made towards his sister. She rolls her eyes, shaking her head, "it's an empty threat, Stefan. If he kills me, he kills himself and he knows it."

  "How can you be so sure?" Elena chimes in, her nail in between her teeth as the anxiety bubbles in her gut at the thought of seeing a bloody battle between the two mates. "I mean.. no one really knows how a mate bond works, right? What if Klaus knows something we don't?"

  "You're just stressing yourself out." The older Salvatore retorts, trying to keep a steady facade in order to mask the nerves pinching themselves all over her body. What if Elena is right? What if Klaus could live without her no problem? It'd be one less threat to worry about, why wouldn't he follow through with his plan? This created a whole new wave of fear within Dakota, washing over her sanity and drowning her positive thinking; she couldn't breathe any longer. "Actually, is the room spinning? Did it suddenly just get really hot in here or is it just me?"

  "Listen, Dakota-" starts the younger Salvatore, "there's five minutes left on that clock, and Bonnie and Matt are nowhere to be seen. And I'm compelled to rip out your throat if you or Elena try to escape; there's no beating around the bush here, you can't 'Dakota Salvatore' your way out of this one."

  "You're not helping-" spits the blue eyed girl, "we wouldn't be in this mess if it weren't for the fact you pledged your loyalty to a psychotic hybrid. I didn't come back for Damon or for Elena or for Caroline.. I came back for you, Stefan. And look where that's gotten me."

  Stefan scoffs, glaring at his older sibling, "so this is my fault, now? Typical Dakota, blame everybody but herself. You just hate to admit the only man who's supposed to love you.. doesn't. And why would he, huh? You're nothing special; you're just a broken girl hiding behind the fact that you will never be good enough for anyone-"

  "Guys, stop!" The human girl comes between the duo before the situation could escalate any further, "fighting isn't going to help Dakota.. or me, okay? We need to think of a plan.. and fast."

Jeremy Gilbert's eyes begin to close, the stress of the past events taking a toll on his body and begging for his brain to take a rest. Damon glances over at the human, shaking his head, "Don't fall asleep, Jer. You might have a concussion."

"Thanks for the concern, dick." Spits the younger Gilbert with a glare.

"Oh, stop pouting. He took one for the team. Everyone back home will thank you once Klaus is dead." Adds Katherine.

"Where's my phone?" Asks Damon, eyeing the doppelgänger warily.

"Do you need to check in with Elena? Make sure it's okay you pummeled her little baby bro?" Retorts the brunette cheekily.