2.8

" may I? " +

" may I? "
+

Dakota remains lying beside Alaric, feet perched up on top of his unconscious body as she tries to allow her body to succumb to the fatigue of not sleeping in the past two days.

The girl had agreed to stay back at the Gilbert residence to help assist with the dead history teacher for two reasons: one being that if he hadn't pulled her away from the car, she'd be in an intense amount of pain, and second, she didn't want to go anywhere with the likes of Damon. Even if it was about their baby brother and her mate. She'd shooed them off with a sour glare and a snarky comment, venom dripping from each word as she told Damon and Elena to get the hell out of her face.

Whatever they were plotting wasn't good. But, with Klaus on the loose and the probability of someone else getting hurt if they didn't do anything about it, she agreed to stay back; noting how she'd get her information mentally later.

A sudden gasp startles the vampire, the guardian sitting up with a heaving start. Alaric, panicked, looks around for a quick minute before relaxing under the wide stare of the blue eyed Salvatore. "Good. You're not Klaus."

"But I'm the closest you'll get to him right now." She chuckles, "how are you?"

He groans, cracking his stiff neck, folding his arms over his head, "other than the fact that I was hit by a car, good." Alaric glances around, "where are the others?"

"On a mission to find Stefan. I agreed to stay back and watch you." The Salvatore grins.

"Damon?"

Dakota places a hand over her heart, lips parting in mock hurt. "You never thought 'hey, maybe she actually cares about me and wanted to stay back to make sure I was okay'?"

"Dakota..."

She sighs, dropping her goody two shoes persona and rolling her eyes. "Yes."

"Ah, I knew it." Alaric chuckles, "leave it to the old Salvatore twins to hold grudges like no one's business."

Dakota was about to retort with a sassy remark before the front door opens, Elena walking in with a smile at the sight of an awake Alaric. "Ric, hey! When did you return to the living?"

"Oh just a few minutes ago. How is Jeremy?" He replies.

"Hating me. Hating life. Hating the fact that we can't even have a family dinner without somebody dying before dessert." The two girls furrow their eyebrows as the man begins to cough violently, clutching his chest in wheezes, "Are you okay?"

Alaric continues to cough violently into his hand, noting the oozing red liquid dripping from his lips, burning his throat. Dakota gasps, "Ric!"

"Something's wrong! The ring!" But before anyone could tend to his fit, he collapses onto the floor in a moaning heap.