Chapter Six.

Finn

Seeing Avery cry literally rips me apart. I never want her to feel that way and not being able to do anything about it is so infuriating. I mean it when I say that I wish I could put all her pain on me.

I know what its like having your dad be a complete dead beat. It's the worst thing you could go through, knowing that you aren't enough for your own parent. For one of the people who should love you more than anything. It fucking sucks.

The only thing I can do is be there for her, which doesn't feel like enough. When she told me last night that she was too ashamed to tell her friend about what happened back in New York, I knew I wasn't going to let it happen again. I'm actually glad I was there when it happened, even though I know she feels awful that I was. She can't stop apologizing and I can't stop stressing to her not to worry about that and that I'm glad I can be here for her.

I feel like after tonight, we are a lot closer than I could of even imagined. From the game to this shit, I just really hope that she knows she can trust me.

Neither of us have spoken in a while, but it's a very comfortable silence. She was crying in my chest for about a half hour, but she has seemed to calm down.

I feel so at ease right now, like this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm rubbing circles on her back as her hand that was covering her face earlier is now wrapped around me, the other holding my shirt.

"You know," she speaks up, causing me to look down at her. "I saw you at the game and knew you looked familiar. I wish I realized."

"Stop it, Aves." I say, my voice quiet. Fuck it, I should just tell her. "Can I tell you something?"

She nods, still not looking up at me but still against my chest. I'm honestly glad she's not looking at me though, I would definitely not be able to tell her if she was. "I saw you in class a few weeks ago and I wanted to go up to you right away, but I got nervous and didn't. Then I saw you at the store and chickened out again. Then at the game. All of a sudden you were everywhere and I felt like I was given so many chances and I fucked it up. Then I saw you fall on that ice and I knew that was it. That I had to at least give it a shot."

She looks up at me, her face confused. "I don't understand why."

Her eyes are even prettier up close. Her eyes are brown but the specks of hazel are so bright it makes her eyes look greener. She's so fucking beautiful.

"Why what?"

"Why you were so interested in me."

"I just had a feeling in my gut about you. You seemed kind and beautiful. I loved the way you always had your nose in a book and how you were always so engrossed in the lesson." Fuck, I gotta stop before I freak her out. "I just wanted to get to know you more."

Her cheeks get red again and a smile covers her face, causing her to look away. I can't help but smile too.

Never in my life have I met a girl and then told her stuff like that all in the same week. I usually get really shy and can never tell people how I feel, not even when I was in a relationship. It's hard for me to open up about how I feel because, if it wasn't obvious, I fear rejection.

But its different with her. Once I talked to her, I realized that I never want to stop.

She sighs deeply, breaking apart from me and sitting up straight. She crosses her legs into a pretzel and stretches her back. After she rubs her face, her hands drop to her lap. Her big doe eyes connect with mine, a small but sad smile on her lips.

She looks over and points, causing me to look at the small suitcase I have packed, "Are you going somewhere?"

"Leaving for Vancouver tomorrow afternoon for a game on Sunday." I don't think we've ever talked about how often I go on trips. "It'll only be a few days this time."