Chapter Eleven.

Avery

Sometimes great things happen in a blink of an eye. That's what my homegirl Hannah Montana said and I have to say, she's was right.

'm not sure how this thing with Finn escalated so quickly but I'm not upset about it. I really like him, and I think he likes me too. Well, I hope he does. I've been wanting him to kiss me for a while now, yet I wasn't prepared. I haven't kissed someone in a long time, and no one as beautiful as Finn. I still have a hard time believing that he's actually interested in me.

And yes, I know that I could of kissed him first. But I'm an anxious person by nature, and the thought of being rejected on that magnitude is panic attack inducing.

It's Thursday now and Finn has been gone for a few days at this point. I miss him but he calls me everyday whenever he travels which is nice. It's really nice knowing someone is thinking about you.

It makes me so happy when I see him randomly calling me. I can't help but look forward to it everyday. Although I wish he were here with me, I'm so filled with pride and happiness when I see him playing hockey or when I see his name floating around social media.

Pretty much everyone who follows minor league hockey loves Finn. Fan pages discuss him and his game and where they think he'd be drafted too and it's fucking mind boggling. It's so strange seeing those while being close to him.

"Avery," James says from behind me, making me flinch. I turn quickly, "Jesus Christ. You scared me."

"Sorry, love," he laughs. I turn back to the shelf I was organizing, putting a book away.

"What are you doing after work?" He asks, leaning against the book case.

"Going home, eating leftovers, watching a movie, going to sleep," I list the events coming up tonight. "Probably in that order."

"Get dinner with me," He smiles. "We're not closing tonight. I won't have you home too late. Let's go to the diner."

Uh oh.

I can't help but think of Finn. Sure, he doesn't control who I'm friends with but I don't want to upset him.

Wait. Avery, stop. Don't be one of those girls.

James has been my friend for a while now, and that's all he is going to be. It's a harmless dinner. Besides, I think it's pretty obvious to Finn that I like him, so it really shouldn't be a big deal. Yeah. I'm making a big deal out of absolutely nothing.

"Sure," I shrug, even though there is a pang of guilt in my chest. "But I do have school in the morning." I remind him.

He rolls his eyes, "I know, grandma," he jokes, "Like I said, I won't hold you late." 

I nod, smiling at him. I pick up the books I put on the floor and walk past him, going to another section. I feel his eyes on me as I walk away, so I keep my head low. I go towards the Self Help section to put a few more books away and see my friend Maureen.

"Hey Mo," I greet, putting away a book. She looks over to me. "Hey, girl. You closing tonight?"

"Nope." I grin at the fact I won't be here all night. "James and I are out of here in 10."

She groans, "Damn it. I was hoping I wouldn't be left here with Pete."

Maureen and Pete dated for a hot minute, but she broke it off pretty quickly. It's not really as awkward as you would think it would be, but I can understand it not being an ideal situation.

Maureen and I talk for a bit while I put the last of the books away. I flinch again when James pops his head into the aisle. "Avery, give me your name tag. I'll grab your stuff from the break room."