Chapter II.i

She was stuck on that step for moments until he took a step up and she heard a bell on her head. A warning bell that she immediately turned around and rushed to climb up.

"Wait! Merida!" She heard him scream but no! There was just no way that she's going to face that guy! No uh!

She continued to climb up. Good thing almost everyone was gone already.

"Merida c'mon! I just want to talk!" She heard him again.

His voice is like a blasting sound of a chainsaw that was going to tear her apart. It was scary to her so she kept running until she was up at the rooftop where she was nowhere to go.

Merida was catching her breath thinking of a way to hide from him but the rooftop was just so clean and plain. Okay, she's dead.

"Mer—Merida"

She looked back to see Jacob catching his breath, his hands on his knees. She frowned as she almost ran out of breath from running up.

"What is wrong with you? Why were you chasing me!?" Merida angrily asked.

"You were running away, so of course I had to chase you!" Jacob yelled.

"Why are you yelling at me? I was scared of you!" Merida yelled back.

"You-you're yelling too," he said as his breath finally steadied.

Merida can't stop glaring at him. "What do you want from me?"

"Nothing! I just want to apologize for being so shocked at how ug—I meant... uh... it's—"

Jacob can't find the right words to say sorry without mentioning that part.

Merida looked down and her face softened. "You don't have to apologize. Just leave me alone already," she spoke, almost like a whisper.

Now, Jacob just feels like shit. It probably hurt her that he said that. I'm so stupid, he thought to himself.

"I just want to be friends with you," Jacob told her, hoping she won't push him away.

But then the next thing she said hit him. "Why? Cause you think when we're friends you can freely bully me all you want?"

Merida stared at him when he couldn't respond and he stared back at those sad eyes. Her face was clouded up by pain and self-hate. It was at that moment when he realized how beautiful she was in that disastrous look on her face. She can be beautiful if she wants to, he thought.