Chapter Twenty Seven

Jacob was hesitating to approach Merida. She was with her friends who seemed to fight every second. He has to do this. He went out from hiding at a wall and walk towards Merida who was reading.

"Hey, do you have a moment?" He asked.

Merida raised her head and closed her book. Lisa and Yuri raised their brows at Jacob.

"What's it about?" Yuri asked.

"It's about the kids."

Yuri and Lisa gasped in surprise, then they look at Merida and then to Jacob. Lisa has fanned herself, she couldn't believe it. She's dying!

"You have kids? The fuck? Are you guys living together—"

"No!" Merida shouts. "We're talking about street children!"

That made Yuri and Lisa relaxed and their mouth formed an "oh". Lisa touched her chest. "I thought I was going to have a heart attack!"

Merida nods at Jacob. "So what about it?"

"I've found an orphanage for them. Do you want to go check it out with me later?" He asked.

"Hold it right there!" Yuri narrowing her eyes at Jacob. "We should come with you guy!"

"If you guys wa—"

"Yuri and Lisa, weren't you coming with me to study calculus later?" Leo appeared out of nowhere with Brandon.

"Ugh! I forgot," Yuri mumbled.

"So uhm... You in?" Jacob asked Merida again.

"Hmm... alright."

•••

As planned, Jacob and Merida visited the orphanage. They were greeted by kids running around the place. Some was just sitting down the grass with their toys.

"This isn't a bad place," Merida muttered.

"A good place for them to stay for now," Jacob said.

They saw a nun coming their way and they bowed down to pay respect. "Good afternoon, ma'am," Jacob greeted.

The nun smiled sweetly at them. "You must be Jacob," and she turned to Merida. "And Love."

She cleared her throat. "I'm mother superior; I'm the one managing this orphanage. It's nice to finally meet you both. Come, let's talk at the office."

They both followed mother superior into her office. Finally, the kids will have a temporary home, Merida thought. Once they were inside, they both seated in front of the mother superior's table.

"So, did the kids agreed to your plan?" Eleanor, the mother superior asked.

"Uhm... no, we haven't told them yet. We wanted to make sure you were okay with it first," Merida answered.

"We are very pleased that you care for them but the problem is that they need parents and not students." Eleanor just wanted them to know how the system works.

"There are parents who aren't able to take care of their children and we can take care of them," Jacob reasoned.

Kids want to take care of kids? Eleanor chuckled. "You both are graduating students. What about college? What if you get too busy and regret taking them in? Have you thought about it?"

And as expected, the teenagers looked down. Eleanor was right after all... who was going to take care of Lex and the rest of them when they were going to get busy studying? Will Jacob be able to take care of them?

Their plan was a failure. Now, they're walking lifeless on these streets. Jacob glance at Merida, he should cheer her up. "Hey! Let's not give up and find other ways! I'm sure there are other ways!" He tried to cheer her up.

Merida wiped the water in her eyes. She wanted to help Lex and the other kids but now she can't.

Jacob saw her tears and decided to pull Merida for a hug. It had been a while since he gets to hug her like this. He rubbed her back and let her cry.

"I'll find other ways, Love. I swear something good will come so don't cry," he comforted her.

"I really wanted to help them..."

"And we will."

•••

Leo with Brandon ditched Yuri and Lisa. Well, the girls probably went to the library waiting for them.

"What the hell are we doing in here? Are you going to adopt someone?" Brandon loudly asked.

"No. We're helping people," he answered and went inside the orphanage. It was getting dark so the kids surely were inside the building.

"Who are we helping?" Brandon questioned again.

Leo answered him with a glare. Why did he even bring this guy with him? He rolled his eyes.

At the door, Leo knocked three times and a lady opened the door.

"Hello! May I help you?" The lady asked.

"Yes, I'm here to speak with the mother superior. It's Leo." He answered.

"Mother superior?" Brandon mumbled raising a brow.

The lady smiled brightly and opened the door wider. "Come in and I shall lead you to her."

They followed the lady and into Eleanor's office. When she saw Leo, she immediately smiled and told them to sit down. Brandon thought the scenery is very creepy.

"I've talked to your friends about what you asked me. I'm afraid, I can't consider such promise, my dear." Eleanor started.

"I ask you to reconsider," he said with his eyes fixed at Eleanor. She raised her head and gathers her hand together, asking him why?

"Take those street children in and hold them down for quite some years."

Eleanor raised a brow at Leo. "But my boy! How many years are we talking about in here? Would they ever return for them?"

Would they come back? Leo had long thought about this stuff. Merida won't be able to come back sooner but Jacob can. And if they can't then he has plans.

"Five years. Give him five years to come back and if they don't then I'll take care of the rest," Leo answered.

Mother superior sighed. She knows Leo too well, and she knows that he is telling her; that if Jacob and Merida don't come back, he means to take them in. Eleanor knows where this was going to end. Leo will ask her to let those kids stay and he's going to take care of the expenses throughout their lifetime.

"Well then, you have my words, Leo."

They made a deal and sealed them. Leo was going to ensure that they'll live in this orphanage for good and together. After the deal, they left the orphanage.

Eleanor was always fond of this kid. When his whole family would come to visit at this orphanage to donate with the press, he never joins the picture taking. She remembers when she asked him for the reason. He replied, "Does taking a picture helps?"

Eleanor smiled and sighed. Well, I guess I'm going to have to vacant the attic for six more kids, she thought.