Chapter Twenty Six

After their failed group study Leo decided to walk Merida home. Jacob couldn't intrude anymore at that point and neither can Brandon.

"Did you find the book?" Merida asked.

"Yep. I read all 46 chapters there," he answered.

Merida then nodded.

"We talked about street children earlier. He said he was going to take him in."

Leo could hear the happiness in Merida's voice.

"Do you still hate him?"

Does she?

Merida sighed heavily. If she looks on the part where Jacob cheated on her, then yes she still hates him a lot. But if she looks at the other side of it where Jacob is helping and trying, she actually doesn't.

"Yes, I still hate him," she uttered.

Leo glances at the sky, putting his hands at the back of his head. "It's such a wonderful night. Do you believe in God, Merida?"

"Yeah, I do."

He smiled.

"Do you mean that kiss?"

It took a while for her to respond.

"I do."

For a moment, Leo's face was clouded with pain. She was too naive to see that.

"Have you ever wondered what course you're taking after this year?" Merida asked.

"No, I haven't," he answered. "What about you? Got any plans in the future?"

"I think I'll follow my mom's footsteps. It'll take longer but I know I'm going to make it." Yes, she's excited with the thought of going to college. "And then after finishing I want to help the kids and people..."

"Merida," Leo uttered. Merida looked back and saw him about to kiss her but then she leaned back which stopped him.

"I–uhm," She stammered, didn't know what to say. She avoided Leo's gaze and then heard him chuckled when he stepped back.

"Let's keep going," he mumbled and walk ahead of her.

They continue to walk and Merida was at the back looking down. Why did he do that? She asked. It's not like Leo to do such thing.

When they were in front of Merida's house Leo told her goodnight. Before she went in, she hugged Leo. "I'm sorry. I hope you're not upset with me," she mumbled.

Leo moves Merida away and smiled. "Pretend it never happened." He then hugged her tight for three seconds and kissed the top of her head. "Good night." He waved goodbye to Merida as she went inside. Seeing her smile makes him happy but he can't deny the fact that it's hurting him.

"Use me all you want, Love. I won't make it anyway," he muttered and sighed. Then he started to walk away.

Leo went to the park and sat at a swing. He doesn't need a reason to be angry with God but he still feels it's unfair for some reason. He took out his phone and dialled Jacob's number. It took three rings for him to pick up.

"What's up?"

"I've got the perfect orphanage for the street children. It's Asilo De La Milagrosa, it's not far from here," he answered.

"You think it'll work?" Jacob asked him.

"Do you think it didn't catch her attention earlier?"

"..."

"Ask her to visit the orphanage tomorrow after school," Leo advises.

"Why are you doing this, Leo?"

"Good night, Jacob."

Leo then hung up on Jacob. Yep, the idea about those children was Leo's. He's helping his friend because that's what friends do.

At his house, he saw Yuri waiting for him. Aye, his annoying cousin is back to annoy the shit out of him again.

"What do you want?" His face irritated at the sight of her.

"Nothing important. I just want to check on my adorable cousin," she joked. Then sadness painted Yuri's face. "Do you miss your sister? Because I miss mine."

Leo stepped closer to Yuri and messed up her hair. His eyes lit up as he smiles. "I don't miss my sister. Don't worry, you can open up to her, Yuri. She's not the type to betray people."

She sniffed. "I don't want her to see I'm this weak too."

"Merida doesn't think like that," he told her.

They continue to talk and Yuri ended up falling asleep. He had to call her butler just to pick her up.

"Get her home safe," Leo told her butler and then looked down at the sleeping Yuri. He thought about something and smirked.

•••

The next day Leo went to school just on-time. At the classroom, he saw Merida, Lisa and Yuri crying out loud. He guessed, Yuri might've told them about her sister. He's glad, his cousin is opening up.

"Leo! Why didn't you tell me about your family?" Merida asked sniffing, her eyes glossy with tears. Leo was surprised and glared at Yuri. Only his cousin was looking everywhere trying to avoid his gaze. He sighed.

"What about my family?" He asked nonchalantly, sitting down on his seat.

"You and your parents and your ... sister." Merida was full of tears and is waiting for a response with her puppy eyes.

Leo cupped her face and wiped her tears away. "I'm doing well with my family. You should take care of yourself and..." he moved closer to whisper some information about Yuri.

He could see at the corner of his eye that Yuri is glaring at him for whispering something to Merida. After whispering he moved away, smiling at a shocked Merida. Then she turned to Yuri which froze.

"Yuri!" She yelled and shifted her thought.

Leo shakes his head side to side. That was kind of annoying. He accidentally glanced at Jacob who probably saw him wiping Merida's tears away. His face was clouded with jealousy and that's funny to Leo.

If only he knew...

***