Chapter Twenty Two

Merida just got out of the airport and it was already dark. She didn't tell Leo because she didn't want to bother him. She wore a pink pastel hoodie, short pants and sneakers. She also wore a slight makeup as Yuri taught her. She sighed knowing she's back at being Merida but not entirely the old Merida.

Merida was confident, a new stronger and a better one. As Yuri told her, believing in oneself makes a big difference.

Her mom couldn't come back with her yet. Beth's work there was extended so she went home with a cab alone.

Entering their block, Merida was surprised to see a familiar figure sitting on the sidewalk. She sighed. It was time to face him. Merida got out of the cab while the driver went to the back to get her luggage.

Jacob, on the other hand, was surprised to see a different Merida stepping out of the car. He has been contacting her but she was always unreachable. So he waits for her to come home at night like this. This time he was lucky to catch her coming home. He wanted to explain things to Merida.

He made a really big mistake.

After paying the cab, Merida walks towards her gate with a heavy chest. She raised her head up high and smiled at Jacob as if her heart isn't pounding inside her chest.

"H-hey!" Jacob awkwardly greeted her.

"Hi!" She greeted back.

"So uhm... you went for a vacation?" Jacob saw the changes in Merida. Her hairstyle and colour, her face has makeup, her type of clothing. She was entirely different.

Merida was unlocking their gate and when she did, she looks at him, "Obviously!" She pushed her gate open and started walking inside. Trying not to lose the brave act she's doing.

"Merida, let's talk."

That made Merida stopped walking and turned to look at him. She feels pain really; she just doesn't want it to show.

"I'm sorry, Love. I'm still in love with her."

Jacob was expecting Merida to cry. He knows how vulnerable she is and for that he is sorry but he's just really still in love with Elise. At least he thinks he is.

Merida softly chuckles while slowly taking the steps towards Jacob. He was surprised at how she didn't seem to be affected.

She touched Jacob's cheek and smiled. "It was your choice, Jacob. Your sorry isn't valid." Then she dropped her hand and shrugged. "Sometimes it lasts and sometimes it hurts instead. Either way, you learn... I learned. My only mistake was to fall in love with your broken words. I wish I was too wise to have known what they truly meant. I wish you happiness."

After saying those with ease Merida walked away and into her house with her luggage. Closing the door, she covered her mouth and silently cried. It still hurts how Jacob didn't think about his promises to her. She misses him but it would never be enough to want him back.

And so Merida wiped her tears and exhaled heavily, looking up so her tears won't start falling again. It's over Jacob, I'm no longer that Love you find beautiful.

Jacob was left outside frozen at what Merida told him. He loves Elise but he feels pain when Merida walked away like that as if he didn't matter at all. As if they never spent a few months together. But who was he kidding? He was the first one to forget.

"I'm such a fool," he grunts, biting his lower lip and kicking the ground. He just freakin' hurt himself by facing Merida.

•••

Leo heard from Merida that she's back. Early in the morning, he drove to her house, excited to see her again after two long weeks. He didn't bother her much because he wanted her to enjoy and forget what happened. Only he knows she will never forget... but she can move on.

At her front porch, he raked his hair with his fingers, creating that perfect hairstyle. Then he knocked on her door.

Leo's jaw dropped when a different Merida opened the door. She wore a sleeveless shirt and that baggy pants. She has that cool hair, a slight make up that enhanced her beauty. Wait— this style seemed so familiar, Leo thought.

"Are you just going to stare and not come in?" Merida softly chuckles at Leo's reaction.

He throws his head back mischievously grinning. "Damn it! That must be a great city you went to. It had you changed like this in just two weeks."

Merida rolled her eyes at Leo's comment. She widened the opening of the door for him to come in.

"Did you have breakfast already?" Merida asked.

"Nope. I was too excited to see you so I rushed here. Only a jaw-dropping girl appeared instead of a shy one."

Merida scoffed, thinking Leo was kidding. She never really realizes what a joke is and what a serious response if Leo says it. He keeps making it sound like he's just kidding.

"Say, do you want to go out and have breakfast somewhere?" Leo asked.

"No. I need to do the groceries first and maybe we can cook together and eat. You're not that hungry right?"

"What else can I do?" Leo shrugged and Merida chuckled.

"Alright, I'll be right back."

Leo felt new. Merida wasn't like that before. She might look so beautiful right now but it seems like it wasn't her. Or maybe he's just making things up in his head.

"Let's go!" Merida yells running down the stairs. She grabs his hand and drags him out the door.

At a mall, they went to the grocery area. As expected of Leo, he took a lot of eggs. Yes, yes... he's an egg addict. "What you looking at?" Leo asked when Merida gaped looking at him.

"We can't buy all of that!"

"I'm paying so shut up!" Leo yells and pushes their cart leaving Merida behind.

Merida was about to follow Leo when she saw a cereal box that has some puns written on it. She smirked. "Hey, Leo!" She yells catching up to him.

"What kind of shorts do clouds wear?" She asked grinning and bouncing happily.

Leo who was busy picking between two brands of flour glanced at Merida and back to his stuff. "Thunderwear," he muttered.

Merida frowned. How the hell does he know the answer? "Okay, you're right. How about an alligator wearing a vest?"

"An investigator"

"How do you put a baby alien to sleep?"

That's the last one Merida has and she was frustrated that he knows the answers.

"You rocket"

"Ugh!" Merida stomped her foot and pouted. She looks at the other side with her arms crossed.

Leo chuckled and looks at Merida. "Merida Love Hollyn, are you an egg?"

"Why? Because I'm egg-cellent?" she asked, raising a brow.

Leo step closer to Merida and made an intimidating stare. "Because you're egg-xactly my type," he said and winked at her.

Merida couldn't move, feeling the damn heat on her cheeks. She blinked a couple of times and moved her hand up and down, fanning herself. Being caught off guard like that makes her hide her smile in a grumpy face. She feels really hot while Leo continues picking and grinning. What a backlash.

An old woman who saw that smiled. "Such a great couple, huh?"

"Yeah... That should've been me," Jacob muttered, feeling the sharpest knife stabbing his chest. Before the old woman could say something, he left.

It was a bad coincidence that they went to the same mall for groceries at the same time. This made Jacob's day such a bad-painful day.