Chapter II

"Oh, c'mon sis! Let's be real, okay? You know when someone's ugly! She's ugly!" Jacob told her sister who just rolled her eyes at him. They're having breakfast at the moment.

"Hmm, wow! She must be really ugly," his older brother Jeremy commented.

"Now, now, boys what did I tell you? Outer beauty isn't going to last, everyone starts having wrinkles when they get older," their mother said.

"But didn't you say you saw her kindness towards the street children? You found her beautiful first," his sister, Jane told him as she slices her meat.

That made Jacob think about it. Yeah, she's beautiful in that way but she still looks so ugly. He doesn't know if he should apologize to her later at school or what. He just sighed his decision off.

•••

Merida felt sick looking at herself in the mirror. Why does she have so many pimples all over her face? Why does she doesn't have a perfect nose as everyone has? Why are her eyebrows too bushy? Why are her lips always cracked? Why is her front tooth crooked? Why is she so ugly?

Tears were coming out from the corner of her eyes. She sniffed as she knows, another person was going to team up with everyone against her. That guy from last night... he even froze.

She sighed deeply and tried to smile. Even her smile is ugly. There's nothing beautiful about her. There's just no one who could fall for her.

Wiping her tears away, she stopped looking at her ugly face. She turned around and took her backpack, leaving her room for school.

•••

Jacob was normally late but this day was something else. He wanted to apologize to Merida so he was early, only to find no Merida in the classroom. Maybe Brandon was wrong, he thought.

The bell rang and everyone went inside. Usually, he wouldn't mind anything that is happening anymore at this point but then he did. He finally saw her ugly face coming in, but wait, he didn't just notice that! He noticed a bruise too. That made him slightly frowned. What happened to her?

The whole day, the bruise is all he could think of. Even at basketball practice, he couldn't focus so he sat at the bleacher. Then he suddenly heard those girls laughing again.

"I couldn't help it! Her ugly face was so annoying that I had to throw a fist at her for no reason but her ugliness!" What she said sparked guffaws around their area.

"So that's why she had that..." he mumbled.

Jacob thought something for about a minute and then snatched his backpack and run towards the exit of that gym.

"Yo! Jacob! Where are you heading man? The practice isn't over yet!" Brandon yelled across the court.

"I have to go! It's an emergency!" He shouted and never again looked back.

At the school ground, he looked around for Merida. He needs to apologize to her for acting the way he acted. First, he went inside the classroom but no one was there. Next was the library because usually, nerds stay there and again she wasn't.

As soon as he was losing hope to see Merida, shepopped up at the staircase. Her eyes widened seeing him down the stairs butJacob's grin turned into a smug.