Chapter#02

Zahra pulled the dupatta over her head, tugging the hair strands back from one hand and balanced the plate in the other.

"Mama, I will be back within an hour," She kissed her mother's cheek who was reciting the Qur'an, and walked out of the house.

She walked some steps towards the right to found Zoha already standing outside her house.

"Sorry, I got late," Zahra mumbled biting her tongue, and continued before she could say anything.

"And I bought halwa." she gave her best friend a toothy grin making her snatch the plate instantly.

"Oh God, aunty's halwa,"
Zoha rushed in with Zahra hot on her heels as she shook her head.

"Assalamualikum, uncle aunty," she greeted her parents watching them settled in the lounge watching TV.

"Walaikum Salam, come sit," her mother offered as Zoha disappeared in the kitchen to bring spoons.

Zahra sat opposite them with a smile.

"Mama sent halwa for her," 

"Ahad's family is coming this weekend. And you and Ansa Aapa have to be here okay?" Zoha's mother said and she smiled.

"Of course, what date do you have in mind?" She prolonged the conversation as Zoha walked in letting her parents have some of the desert too.

"I want it within one month, I am telling you guys," Zoha said sitting beside Zahra.

"How would everything be done in such a short time?" Her father raised his brows and she clicked her tongue.

"We will have a small nikkah ceremony in our garden, no need to book a fancy hotel or banquets," her mother agreed on her point.

"She is right Ahsan. We have a small family already and our garden is big enough to fit them in," her mother said and her father shrugged.

"Let them come and we will see," Zoha stood up holding Zahra's hand.

"C'mon, we were going out if you remember," she dragged her out as they both started strolling onto their street.

"Where is Kashif?" Zoha looked around.

"Boo!" they both jumped on their places as he screamed in their ear from the back.

"Idiot." Zoha flipped her hair back from her shoulder as he laughed out loud.

Zahra's lips pulled up in a wide smile as she sat down on her knees and rubbed boney's neck. He was Kashif's husky dog.

"I missed you so much," she rubbed its face as it barked.

"He missed you too," Kashif kneeled behind his dog and she smiled.

Kashif lived on the street behind theirs and the three of them have been friends since forever.

"C'mon, let's play with the kids now," Zoha squealed dragging Zahra again with her.

"Zoha, I am a human, stop dragging me for god's sake," Zahra dug her heels in the ground bringing Zoha to stop as she gave her a sheepish smile letting her arm go.

They walked to the park where the society kids were playing cricket. Zoha would always bother them by catching the ball and hiding it. And that would lead to the whole lot of children chasing after them and sometimes if they would be lucky, they would get their ball back.

Zoha ran in as Zahra and Kashif stood outside looking at them. 

"And? How are your parents?" She asked glancing at him once before turning back to look as Zoha argued with the kids.