Chapter#47

The moon hid behind the grey clouds, as they filled up the sky.

The trees humped, the crazy wind announcing an upcoming storm.

It was going to rain.

Ammar walked up the stairs almost robotically, his mind numb.

He pushed open the door seeing the lights dimmed and a sudden whimper from the corner caught his attention as his head snapped to the bed where Zahra sat hugging her knees.

He turned the light on and rushed to her.

"Zahra?" She looked up with her wet cheeks, her expressions contoured into pain, her face flushed.

He held her shoulders, horror striking him.

"What happened?" He asked and she pushed herself in his arms, breaking out into fresh tears.

"Ammar," she hiccuped against his chest and he frowned at how scratchy her voice was.

"Meri jan, kya hua hai?" He pulled back tugging her hair back from her face.

"Phupo, sh..she misbehaved with me," she didn't even know what to say.

He stared at her in confusion.

"What did she say?" He asked cupping her face as she cried more.

"I..she c..called my parents n..names," she shut her eyes because even repeating that pained her.

"But why? Why would she do that?" Her whole body shook in his arms before she pushed his arms away standing up.

"Because she says I am the cause of every problem in your lives. She says that I should have died in my mother's womb!" she screamed at him, her eyes spitting fire.

He sat there numb not knowing what was happening.

"Ammar. She said those things about my parents I can't even repeat," she looked away and his heart pained seeing her like that.

"Zahra, calm down." He got up holding her face but she pushed his hands away.

"Ammar, she slapped me." She screamed again and it was then his eyes fell over her right cheek where the handprint was still visible.

"She did this?" He caressed it and she flinched nodding.

"Zahra. Listen to me. I can't do anything right now," she looked at him with her eyes hollow.

"Why? You don't trust me?" She got out of his hold.

"It's not that. Try to understand-"

"Try to understand what?" She shouted at top of her lungs making him ball his palms.

"Zahra, I can't do anything right now!" His voice raised octaves and she stepped back.

"You think I really am the cause of all the problems, no?" She chuckled before her lips turn in a thin line.

"No. I am not saying this. Listen me out first." He tried to touch her but she moved away.

"Listen what? She pointed at my character. My parents love. The purity of their relationship. I am sorry but I can not stay in this house until she apologizes." He inhaled sharply.

"I can't do anything right now," He repeated the same words, running a hand through his hair before sitting on the bed. His tone held finality.

"Why? You don't respect my parents? Or you are scared that I really am part of sin?" She whispered with her voice dipped in hatred and he shut his eyes turning his face away.