Chapter#14

"Only that remained was a broken Zahra."

The words rang in his mind watching her give out her presentation. The way her hands move, to make an impact on her words. The way she would adjust the ring on her finger. The way she will make eye contact with everyone as if almost daring them to point out a flaw. Ammar would turn his gaze away whenever she would turn to his side. He just could not look into her eyes.

She was wearing maroon high-waisted pants with a white button-down tugged neatly and a black blazer, over it. Her hijab was maroon with hints of white on the edges.

The meeting was over after fifteen minutes and she collected her things, pulling the keyhole into her finger.

"Um, are you okay?" She asked hesitantly seeing him rubbing his forehead. His eyes were shut but they snapped open hearing her.

"Ya, I'm good." He leaned forward and she gave a small uncertain smile, walking out.

Ammar loosen his body, letting his back fall against the leather chair, and sighed.

Those brown, bloodshot eyes still haunt him. That day in the corridor. He still didn't get to know what happened.

He suddenly remembered that the only friend she had, Husna, resigned a day or two after that incident.

Laiba told him that they both had a fight but he didn't seem it right to inquire about the matter.

He didn't see them talk to each other after coming back from Brazil, or they would be talking in her cabin, on her cubicle, in the cafe, at the reception. Pretty much everywhere.

He wanted to know what was the reason behind those emotions in her eyes that day but he didn't want to interfere in her matters.
_

Zahra sat up huffing and encircled her arms around her knees with a deep breath.

She couldn't sleep as usual and her mother's words were messing with her mind big time.

How could she marry someone again?

Never in those two years did this thought cross her mind that she would have to marry again.

She didn't want to. She just wanted to live how she was living at the time. Happy with her little family. But her mother's words echoed through her mind and she closed her eyes.

I will not be here after some years. You do know that when they will be all grown up, they will be settled in their own lives, and you? What will you do then? Who will be there to hold your hand?

She took a shaky breath, getting lost in the memories almost three years back.

That man. He used to live in her soul. His promises, his love. Everything was rushing in with such intensity that she wanted to drown. She wanted to live it all over again. But only the happier parts.

He would beat her, but wrap her up in his arms. He would give her pain, but he will be the one to wipe her tears. He would tear her apart, but still, his words had the power to calm the storm in her life.

But then it stopped. Then his words got bitter. Then he wouldn't even care if she was bleeding from all those beatings. He wouldn't care if she cried the whole night or if she was giving up on her life.

She had started hating him since then. By that time she had completely given up, she would get beaten up and lay there lifeless till she just could not lay anymore.

And then he got completely psycho. He bore his name in her skin, with the knives.

She would scream, she would cry, she would faint but he did not care.