Chapter#50

The stinking smell of phenyl, medicines, blood, and acids made Zahra scrunch her nose before walking up the stairs.

Rounding the corner, they turned to their right and into the waiting area.

There weren't many people except their own family.

"Assalamualaikum," she hugged his Tayi.

"Did the doctor's say anything?" Her father-in-law asked his elder brother.

"He will come by the evening." He nodded.

"Where's Ammar?" Zahra asked Zohaib.

"He has gone for some work."

"Zahra, you can go inside." Hasan uncle said to her and she took a deep breath nodding.

She looked at the ICU board and pushed open the door.

The air-conditioned room made goosebumps erupt on her arm before her eyes landed on the bed at the corner.

She felt all the energy leaving her body and wanted to turn and run away but Dado had seen her already.

She gulped gathering some courage before walking ahead.

"Assalamualaikum," she put her hand over her baby.

Her heart breaking at the sight in front of her. The woman's face was covered with an oxygen mask, drips attached to her hands, her arms turned to a shade of purple. Her lips were blue.

Tears rushed to her eyes seeing the strong woman that vulnerable.

The elder woman smiled in reply and held her hand up.

Zahra caught it instantly dropping a kiss over her wrinkled ones.

"How are you?"

"I am fine," Zahra looked down. Tears filling her eyes at her heavy breathing.

There was silence for some time.

"Take care of him," She bit her lip hard.

"He would be too broken."

"I know. I have tried to make him understand but he is not ready to let me go." She shut her eyes as tears blurred her vision.

"Keep him happy. He is the most precious thing to me. Give him all the love you can." Dado tightened her hold around her palm and Zahra nodded. A tear rolling down her cheek.

"Dado. Can I tell you something?" She nodded removing her mask.

"I am expecting." Her eyes shined with something so beautiful, it made Zahra's heart clench inside her chest.

"Masha'Allah, Mubarak ho," she held her hand from both of hers.

"I have always wished to hold Ammar's baby in my arms but maybe it was not in my fate." Zahra wiped her face.

"But give all my love and prayers to it. And tell the baby that it was loved by Dado even before coming into this world. Will you do it?" She nodded biting her tongue to not sob out. It was too heartbreaking.

"May Allah give you both happiness and keep showering his blessings," Her breaths labored at the end making Zahra pull the mask back over her face.

She said something but her voice was muffled from the machine's sound.

"Ma'am, please go outside. It's been over five minutes," she nodded before dropping a kiss on her forehead.

"May Allah give you peace," She kissed her palm too.