Without a Delay

That's a Nepali Bride in the picture.

The next day, we got engaged in a private ceremony. My parents wanted to make it big because they wanted everyone to know they had a billionaire son-in-law, but thankfully, the devil wanted it to be private. They couldn't say no to him.

My mother was quite annoyed at his decision because she couldn't show off everything. She whined the whole time during the engagement. When I was coming out of my room for the ceremony, I heard her say

"We could book a venue in a second and arrange the engagement ceremony," She said with disappointment in her voice. "But no, he wants it to be private. Billionaire with no brain. If you have money, you have to show it off."

For me, it was a relief. I wasn't a fan of people's ugly stares and talks. Their suggestions about what I should do and what I shouldn't. I also got to know that his name was Amol Bir Bikram Shah. Whatever his name was, he was always going to remain the devil to me. At least his name wasn't annoying like him.

My dad wasn't happy about the arrangement either. He wanted to have a grand wedding, so he was upset.

"Now, I am getting curious why they want the marriage to happen so quickly," he said.

"It's good in a way. She won't get a guy like him. He is rich and handsome," My mother replied.

"But Gita....,"

"No ifs no buts, Raju. She is getting a good family and a good home. It doesn't matter if they want this marriage to happen overnight. What matters is that a rich guy wants our daughter, which is a good thing for our family,"

"You are right," My father agreed.

I sighed looking at them.

Who would believe these were my parents? Nothing else mattered to them other than the money.

After four days, we got married according to Nepali Hindu tradition. The devil wanted to get married the next day we got engaged, but my parents didn't agree. I don't know why he wanted that, but my parents convinced him to give them four days to prepare for everything.

"Just for days. She is our elder daughter. We want it to be memorable," my father said.

I rolled my eyes at his words.

"More like, we can't show off in front of our relatives," I muttered.

I saw the devil smile and glared at him.

Fucking devil.

On the day of our wedding, I was still sitting on my bed when Prarthi walked in.

"You don't have to do this, you know," she said.

I just stared at her. Only if she knew that I was trapped. Neither I could accept the marriage nor could I reject it. How could I tell her that this was the very man who had saved my life and in return made a nasty deal with me? The deal to get married.

"It's for the best," I murmured.

"It's not," she said making me look at her.

"Just tell me you don't want to get married and I will help you get away,"

"Prarthi, I want this," I lied forcing a smile.

"It's still an arranged marriage. Arrange marriage sucks," she said with a disgust in her voice which made me laugh.

"Now, let's get you ready. I will make you look like a Disney princess,"

"But Disney princess doesn't wear a sari,"