Evil people

🎶 Matilda - Harry Styles 🎶

The next morning, I was all alone in the bed. Some kind of emptiness filled me. Today, we were going to my parent's house, so I got dressed. Dar was at night, but Prarthi told me to come early. I stood at the window admiring the day and waiting for him, but as I looked down, he was on the bench reading the newspaper.

Was he not going with me? Maybe he didn't want to go. Why would he? He didn't owe me anything, but they wanted to see him more than me. That's why they called us early.

My legs took me to the garden. I stood staring at his back, wondering if I should go near him or not. He kept the newspaper down and looked straight.

What if he said he didn't want to go? What would I say to my sister? My parents would taunt me the whole day for not being able to bring him. No, I will beg him to go with me. If he refused then they would eat my brain and make it impossible for me to live.

I slowly went and sat on the bench. Five minutes went by and neither he nor I said a word. Tina brought tea for both of us. She smiled and left. I sat there watching the trees, thinking about how to ask him, and then finally I said,

"I know you don't want to go but... "

"I will," He cut me off.

I looked at him in surprise. He smiled and handed me a cup of tea. We drank in silence. I never thought he would say that.

"If you are ready, then we can leave," he suggested. I nodded, and we left.

My family welcomed us warmly. My sister was way too happy. Devil and she were getting along. I found out they even talked on the phone. I knew she was really happy and she loved me but I didn't like that she was getting close to him. When we get divorced she would get hurt. I didn't want that for her.

How I wished she knew about the deal. My parents always acted nicely in front of others and it wasn't a shock when they treated him as a king. They were happy that their ugly skinny daughter got married to a billionaire. They won a jackpot. Only if he knew how fake they were.

I was not saying I was ugly to get sympathy or to hear "No, you are beautiful," but I was actually ugly. I understood I would never be enough for others, but for me, I was, and would always be enough, and that's the truth. We went inside, and there were two other girls, my sister's friends. I gave them a soft smile and went to my bedroom. He sat with my sister while my mother followed me and started to yell.

"Why are you dressed like this? Don't you have an expensive sari? or a makeup kit? At least act like a billionaire's wife now that you are married to one. Your Thuli Aama, Thulo Buwa (uncle and aunts), and maybe other relatives will arrive soon, and you....you gonna cut our nose like always, don't you?" She said it in an angry tone. She was glaring at me like she would kill me right there.

I stood there quietly not bothering to speak.

"You are so dumb. You are married to a rich guy, you could ask anything and he would give you,"

Yeah, I married him for money.

"You..."

"Enough!" I almost screamed, annoyed by her behavior. "Let me sit in peace for a while. If you want money, go and ask him,"

She gave me a harsh look and left. I sat in bed with tears in my eyes. My whole life I had been longing for love-just love, damn it but they always showed me how much they despise me. Just because I was not perfect? or because I was born a girl, which they were not expecting, didn't I deserve a little bit of love?

I heard a knock on the door. I hurriedly wiped my tears and sat looking down.

"Hey," I heard him say.