Difficult

The Shiva temple was half an hour away from where we lived. It was in the hills above the forest. The devotees' crowd was huge and the line? oh, don't even ask about the line in the temple. It felt like the whole city's women were there and even males.

We came back after five hours. I was worn out. My legs were hurt and my feet were aching. We came inside and found out Rima had already left. I went straight to the room and got freshened up. I didn't like what I saw in the mirror. The girl in front of me was unrecognizable and remembered that I hadn't thanked him. He entered the room and I could see how exhausted he was. He gave me a tired smile.

"Thanks," I looked anywhere but him. I felt his eyes on me. He must be thinking why I was thanking him.

"For this," I showed him the sari which I had taken off and placed on the couch. "And this too," I looked at the sari I was wearing.

I was wearing another sari - more like wrapping it around my body that I found in the closet. It was the same colour, red that the devil had gifted me earlier. He had brought two saris for me. He knew how to drape a sari. I should try learning from him. But not right now.

He nodded staring at the way I was wearing a sari.

Even though I was angry at his behavior these gifts meant a lot to me. You appreciate things that were never given to you.

"Need help? " He asked.

"I won't leave the room so....."

"Come here," he said. "I don't mind helping my wife,"

When I didn't move he walked closer.

"May I?"

"You never ask permission to sleep on the bed but...." I didn't finish it wondering If It would make him angry but all he did was smile.

"It's different,"

How so? I wanted to ask.

He stared at me waiting for permission.

"I need to learn it anyway. Why not learn from you,"

He seemed tired but he helped me drape the sari. Again. This time he taught me how to do it.

"Like this," he said once we were done.

"Where did you learn it?"

"Mother taught us," he replied.

She did a great job.

"Next time I can wear it myself," I said.

"I believe so,"

After some time he went out and I was all alone in the room. I was fasting for his long life. Yes, for him. I thought I would be able to fast without drinking a drop of water but as time passed it became difficult for me. I know this marriage was fake and he forced me into it but I don't know why I was fasting for him. It's kinda weird but he was my husband.

The whole day I felt weak so I sat down on the couch, leaning my head back against the headrest. My stomach growled like 1000 times and when I tried to stand up I felt a little bit dizzy. Once he noticed my condition he was on my side in a second. I didn't know he was in the room. When did he come?

"You ok ?" His voice was filled with concern.

I gasped when his hand came in contact with my naked waist.

"I am fine," whispered laying back on the couch.

When dark arrived my condition got worse. Why wouldn't it be worse? It was the first time I was fasting. I couldn't even sleep. First, because my stomach hurt, and second due to my empty stomach I couldn't close my eyes. Seeing my condition devil must have felt bad so he brought me warm milk but I refused it and sat on the couch. I don't know if he noticed I was fasting. I was trying everything in me so he wouldn't know about it.