Trust Installed

Patrick's POV

My whole fucking database has been infiltrated. All
the clients I've ever worked with are now in jeopardy and my solid promise of privacy is too. No will work with me if my company becomes known for releasing personal details.

As Jack explains everything he knows about the situation, I try to take it all in and focus. I don't do well with all this stuff so it's difficult for me to follow. However the women sitting next to me, now dressed in my hoodie is completely opposite to me and my lack of knowledge.

Sofia had sat quietly for the first few moments but I could tell she was dying to say something. It was in the way she sat on the edge of her seat, her face focused and sure. I'm glad she spoke up because she's asking questions and it's helping things make sense for me. I'm stuck between wanting to solve this problem and spending the rest of the night just listening to her talk about spreadsheets and confidentially. I'm not going to lie I'm in awe and watching her break down Jack's words and nod in all the right places does something to me that I don't quite understand. She's trying to help me. That's not something many people do.

It was rather annoying at the start when Jack had looked to me for permission to tell Sofia the answer to her first question. I know it's unusual for me for me to have anyone with me but I don't appreciate him looking at Sofia as if she's stupid.

Now though he isn't holding back and has clearly realised she smarter than both of us put together. I'm glad because I don't want to have to fire him.

"Do you know the IP address of where the firewalls were infiltrated? That would lead you right to the source" Sofia questions and Jack does slightly pale. Hmm what's that about?

"No Mam, we haven't checked that yet"

"Well you probably should" she replies in a polite tone but I can tell she's trying not to yell at him. Damn, I really shouldn't stare too long at her beautifully serious face. Or the small frown marring her forehead. I should avert my eyes from her jean clad crossed legs and my hoodie that's too big and creates sweater paws over her hands. She leans her elbows on her knees and places her chin in her palm, looking so very at home on my leather couch. My staring much be obvious as she glances at me, blushes, tucks her hair behind her ear then focuses back on Jack.

I love it when she blushes but I also hate it. Her blush suggests shyness or that she looks to me for approval. I don't want that. She doesn't need my approval for anything. I'm in no way above her. Its possible that she feels the same way when I praise her as when she does so to me. Any time she compliments me on literally anything, I feel like I've achieved the highest award. It's hard for me to believe that I could make her feel that way but I hope that I do. I hope my words make her feel special and that she believes them fully. Because she's so god damn amazing and she needs to know it.

"Sir?" Is what finally snaps me out of my haze and I turn to Jack, a less pretty sight I may add. "Shall we go to your building to do more digging and get the IP address?" He asks and I nod once because I don't really know what else to say. I don't have control over this situation even though I pay hundreds of people to deal with this shit. I don't like how lost I feel.

My eyes snap back to Sofia as I feel her hand on my knee. She gives me a reassuring smile and I realise that I'm not hiding my panic well. I need to get better at that. Then again this situation in unique in many ways. Not only has it never happened before but I've never felt like I needed anyone's help.

Right now though, if Sofia got up and left I think I'd crumble under the pressure. I don't ever need anyone but right now I need her more than ever. I revel in her support, in her determination to help me. Should I bet getting off or feeling high because she's on my side, caring for me? Maybe not but I can't help it. I crave it from her.