<I Don't Love You/>

Patrick's POV

What? Did she say those three words? Three words that I've learned throughout my life mean very little.

I'm a businessman. Which means I've seen pretty much everything. I've seen the married couples sell each other out. New lovers murmur 'I love you' before sitting in my office and flirting with me.

Cheaters and liars say those words and now my Sofia. What do I do? What do I say? Everything that 'I love you' has taught me is becoming twisted as she stares at me with no lies in her eyes.

Could she feel that way about me? Do I feel the same about her? I certainly don't love her because to me that would not be doing justice to how I feel. I'd be stupid to try and pretend that my feelings for this women don't completely surpass the word love.

She is everything to me. My world. I adore and cherish her but I won't disrespect her by telling her I love her.

As her face crumbles with sadness and pain, I know that she truly believes her feelings. Maybe she's the one and only person on this planet who could say 'I love you' and mean it with all her heart. I'm floored and honoured to have her love. I don't deserve it. I should tell her that but all I want to do is find some way to explain all of this to her without her thinking that I don't feel what she feels.

"Ummm, sorry. That was silly. I shouldn't have said that. I'm just gonna go for a walk" she barely whispers and everything inside of me is dying to speak. To stop the rejection she feels but my mouth won't move. I can barely breath.

I watch her pad away from me and my feet itch to follow. I should stop her.

My throat closes up as I try to call her name but it doesn't work and she exits the villa through the glass doors and off to the beach.

"Sofia..." I push out, my vocal cords finally obeying. Fucking asshole! I really am. I've finally lived up to the name everyone gives me.

Suddenly the coin in my hand feels heavy and I wish the metal would heat and burn my palm in punishment. She gave it to me and it said everything she held in her heart. I don't deserve it either.

Do something idiot! Fix it! Because if you don't she will never look at you the same way!

Sofia's PoV

I tried not to cry. I really did. Because what's the point in crying simply because someone doesn't feel the same way. I can't change it or fix it. It is what it is. So I need to pull myself together.

Well...maybe not quite yet. I think a little more time sitting on this rock will be beneficial for my heart. Although considering it's the same rock we took pictures on yesterday before I ruined things with my stupid confession today...maybe I should go.

I can't sit here all night but how am I supposed to face him? He's probably plotting a way to let me down gently. He'll say that it's time for him to find someone else and I won't even blame him. I suck.

The breeze blows hot air at me even though it's getting late. My tears become damp streaks on my face rather than wet drips of total sadness. I'm wondering if walking into the sea and floating away will save me from this humiliation but I know that's ridiculous. Or is it...

Just as I'm about to test my theory, my skin prickles like it always does when Patrick is close and I try my best not to accept that he's come to find me. Is that worse than me going back to him or not? I'm not so sure.

It's a struggle to stop my head turning to face him. The sand must have muted his footsteps or maybe I'm just so consumed by my own turmoil that I didn't notice.