Chapter 3

The drudge up four flights of stairs was exhausting on a normal day, but being more than a little buzzed made it even worse. Add to that the pounding, both in my head and what I was assuming from one of our neighbors, I wanted nothing more than to collapse into bed and black out to the world. Even if that bed meant being next to Andrew.

For all that getting drunk with Dreece had initially made me feel better, no solution had been found to my boss/lover issue. The closer I got to our modest two bedroom apartment the louder the pounding seemed to get, accompanied by faint, lust filled moans.

Pushing the observation aside, I dug through my pockets until I found my key. It took two tries before I got the stubborn thing into the lock and managed to wiggle it just right so the door would click open. Fuck we needed to get the landlord to look into fixing the lock again.

Immediately the pure, raw sent of Andrew assaulted me, clean and almost chemical with just the barest hint of coffee. Normally the scent would put me at ease, but today it was almost acidic, burning my nostrils. I tried to clear my head, my mind flashed back to the warm citrus scent of my bar room stranger. Now that was a scent I wouldn't mind coming home to. Oh well, I hadn't even gotten his name after all.

Carefully taking my shoes off and placing them in their assigned spot by the door I moved deeper into the apartment, not bothering with the light. It must have been the neighbor directly above us that was having one hell of a fuck, because I could hear every moan and deep breath as if it was coming from my own bedroom.

Of course that wasn't possible. Andrew was gay after all and one of the voices was defnitiely female.

Rolling my shoulders to try and relieve the tension building there for no reason, I decided to bypass the kitchen and bathroom, my bed calling my name. It wasn't until I was standing outside the bedroom door that I noticed something truly weird.

The door was closed. Andrew and I never shut our bedroom door. We didn't have any need to since it was just us in the apartment.

My alcohol fuddled mind struggled to understand why exactly the door to MY bedroom would be closed, especially when I wasn't the person in there.

"Andrew?" The tentative quality of my voice surprised me. But it must have been loud enough because the lusty sounds that had been echoing around me since I got home stopped.

"Shit! I thought you said he'd be out all night!" A voice hissed. A high pitched, most definitely female voice, sending loathing and fear straight to my core.

"Shut up! He's right outside the door you bitch." Andrews voice barely penetrated the wood, but it was enough.

Turning I would bolt to the 'office' and start shoving what belongings I had into a small bag. We may have called the space the office, but really it was just where Andrew had shoved everything that belonged to me that he didn't like.

Hot tears rolled down my cheeks, dripping onto the dark grey of the duffle bag. My hands trembled as they shoved socks, underwear and anything else I could grab into the dark abyss that I'd probably be living out of for the next few weeks.

"Hey babe..." His voice came from the doorway, soft and trying to placate me. "What are you doing Ryry?"

"What the hell does it look like I'm doing? I'm packing." A sob split the sentence, pissing me off even more.

His presence moved closer until larger hands captured mine. I'd never noticed just how wrinkly they had become over the last ten years until now. Then again the asswhole was ten years my senior.

"I can see that, but why? Nothing was going on babe, Annette was just helping me do some research." The deceit lacing his voice brought bile rising up my throat.