Chapter 27

"Maybe instead of staring longingly at your phone you should just call him." Dreece quipped as they took my plate from me, the half eaten sandwich getting wrapped for later. It seemed that I was always hungry but never had any room for the food I wanted to eat anymore.

"I know... but if he's still arguing my case then it could be a distraction." I grumbled clicking my phone back off and shoving it away. "I don't know why I'm this worried. Lucas said my patent alone would get a cease and desist sent to Andrew."

"I know Ry, you're just stressing right now, which you aren't supposed to do. That's why you didn't go with Lucas after all." Dreece reminded me gently, nudging my shoulder with their hip as they walked by, clearing the table off.

"Can I help?" I leaned against the table, planning to heft my massive body up from my chair.

"No need, I'm done. You just sit there and relax." Dreece replied, sending me a grin that had me gritting my teeth in irritation. "After all you're in a delicate condition right now."

"Fuck you." I snarled getting up in spite of them. "You know I'm not made of glass so stop treating me like I am."

"I know." Dreece chuckled, turning to me. "I know you aren't, but I also know that your feet are hurting you just from how you are standing and I'm not going to be here to rub them. And I doubt Michael will want to when they get here."

"I still don't see why you both feel this need to babysit me. I can take care of myself." I griped only somewhat playfully.

"Because you are seven months pregnant and what we in the medical field like to refer to as high risk. So you will just have to shut up and deal with being babysat and treated like you are made of glass."

"I know," I huffed, crossing my arms on top of my stomach in frustration, even though it was true. Nathan had told me at my last appointment that since we didn't know how the final few weeks would progress I would have to be considered high risk. "I'm just sick and tired of being unable to do anything. I can't even go into work because of this stupid baby and Michael can't afford to pay me leave."

"Oh hush, it's not like you really need the money." Dreece held up their hands before I could slip a word in. "And yes, I realize you are trying to save up money for an apartment and things for your baby, but you know what I mean. Right this minute money is less important than the fact that you need to take care of yourself and Merfington the miracle child."

"First off." I rolled my eyes at Dreece, "That's not my child's name. And second I hardly doubt that they can be called a miracle, after all they were born thanks to science, not some divine intervention."

"That's not how most of the rest of the world are going to see it once Merfinton is born." Dreece grinned moving to gather their work things. "Especially once your patent goes through and the fucktard has to stop his attempts to steal your glory."

"It's name isn't going to be Merfington!" I shouted after Dreece as they slid out the door, shaking my head at their audacity. Although, it probably would help if I had chosen a name for the baby instead of just calling it 'the baby.'

Grumbling to myself I moved to the couch, my feet indeed already throbbing. The couch took a lot of effort to get up from when I needed to pee, but it was the most comfortable place for me to recline.

I lowered myself down with a sigh, reaching for the remote just as the doorbell rang.

"Oh for fucks sake." The temptation to just ignore it was strong, after all, it was most likely Michael just being to lazy to dig out the spare key Dreece had given him. A second ding found me hefting myself up. "I'm coming hold your fucking horses"