Chapter 4

Trying to get a cab in this town sucked, but it still beat the idea of walking several miles to the hospital in the cold. I regreted, now more than ever, having forgotten to renew my license regularly. Not that I had a car or any real desire to drive anywhere before now.

Shivering I kept moving in the general direction of the hospital, praying that one of those pesky yellow cars would pull over for me. No such luck. Of course I could have used Uber or Lyft, but I'd never bothered to sign up for either of them and my phone's signal was shit.

Up until today this hadn't been an issue. If I wanted to go somewhere I'd ask Andrew to take me or catch a bus. The bus was out since it would be an hour for the next one.

Hunching my shoulder I trudged on. No point standing still and hoping for a ride after all.

The walk helped clear my head at least, so by the time I arrived at Hope Regional hospital any lingering effects of my beers had long worn off. Even the chills from the night air had mostly faded, which was surprising since it wasn't any warmer outside.

Shoving open the front door I would walk in waving to the front desk person.

"Here to visit Dreece Ryan?" Mariah called from where she sat behind the desk. "Or did word reach you that we had a newborn in?"

A smile warmed my face at the gentle joking from the jovial matriarch.

"I hadn't heard that, but now that you've told me, of course I'm going that way to catch a peak. How's their mother doing?"

Mariah's smile faded, her face looking older by the second. She didn't have to tell me that another woman had lost her life to the plague that was washing over our world.

"I see... well... I'll be sure to make sure I don't get in the way. Thank you for the information Mariah." Moving past her I would reach out, giving her slooping shoulders a squeeze. Mariah lived for the small miracles the hospital brought to the world, she'd been her for as long as I could remember. It hurt to see her actually showing her age for once.

Moving down the halls I contemplated just skipping the nursery and going to find Dreece. If they really had lost another female than most of the staff would be upset. The number of fertile females was getting desperately low.

Without thought, my hand moved to my own stomach, rubbing softly as it often did around anyone who was lucky enough to carry on the miracle of life. The faint pain in my arm brought a small smile to my face, if I was lucky I could very well get the chance to have a child all my own.

My feet carried me toward the nursery any way, deciding that the small bundle of life was well worth having a hurting nurse glare at me through the glass.

Finally reaching the nursery I stopped, looking through the glass at the tiny bundle there. The pink swaddling marked her as a girl, a little miracle in this dying world. I was so enraptured by the small bundle that I didn't even notice when someone walked up to me.

"It's quite a view isn't it." That smooth, whiskey like voice wrapped around me, causing my skin to prickle in excitement. "Being able to look upon a new life, knowing how frail it is, but also just how terribly strong."

Glancing to my left, heat flourished on my cheeks as I took in those wonderful green eyes.

"What... what are you doing here?" Fuck, why did my voice always have to crack or squeak around this guy. "Is... is the little one yours?"

Mr. Green Eyes laughed making the heat covering my body flair even hotter.

"No. I did tell you I worked with Dreece." He replied, my eyes only then noticing the long white jacket he wore, his name emblazoned on the front, Dr. N Walsh.