Chapter 6

Walking into Dreece's kitchen, I dropped my bag on their table with a groan of disgust. Dreece simply glanced up at me from their cup of coffee, one eyebrow raised.

"I take it the interview didn't go well?" They asked, sipping from the steaming cup.

"They said I was 'overqualified' for the lab position. What the fuck? I mean sure I have more experience and published works than most of the people in that lab but still!" Anger boiled through me. I'd been living with Dreece for almost a month now and every attempt I had at finding a job had ended the same way. I was overqualified, they no longer had an opening, blah, blah, blah.

"I'm telling you this is more than just some fluke." Dreece replied tapping a perfectly manicured nails against their mug.

"Yeah I know, but Andrew couldn't possibly have this much of a reach could he? Hell that one job interview was for two states over. I hadn't even heard from the company until I went looking." Moving to the other chair at the table I dropped down into the seat, head falling into my arms.

"I have no idea how much of a reach that pig has." Dreece answered reaching over and offering my hand a squeeze. "I know you hate the idea, but maybe it's time to just find a local part time job? At least something to help you get back on your feet."

"Is that your way of saying you want me to get out of your hair?" I teased softly, well aware that Dreece was getting annoyed with me using the guest room as a makeship lab with a bed.

"Well the mice are getting a bit annoying, but no, I'm not kicking you out just yet." Dreece smiled before glancing at the 'gay' mice in there new cage by the entertainment center. They had started to get spoiled ever since we had been here.

"I know you aren't, but yeah... maybe you're right. Are there any openings at the hospital?" If I had a job there at least Dreece and I could carpool until I got my license renewal completed and could buy my own car.

"Aren't you adorable, but unless you are an RN and I didn't know about it, there aren't any positions that you would be qualified for." Dreece smirked as I made a face of disgust at the world qualified having heard it enough in the last month. "However, that cute little coffee shop a few blocks from the hospital is looking for a barista. Maybe you should look into that."

"A barista? As in mixing coffee and dealing with the snobbish hipsters and their insanely ridiculous drinks that we always make fun of? Are you sure that would be a good idea?" My nose wrinkled pushing my glasses up ever so slightly. I normally didn't wear the damn things, but I'd run out of contacts and couldn't afford new ones.

"Of course! It's just like chemistry! You get to play around with different things and see how it affects the taste, and your customers reactions of course." Dreece grinned a strand of their freshly dyed purple hair falling over their face.

"Sure, except unless you've forgotten, the last time I mixed up some chemicals it landed me in a rather peculiar position." I mumbled, my cheeks burning as I remember my idiotic decision to use the Omega Serum on myself.

"Right... how are things going by the way? Any changes?" Dreece's grin faded ever so slightly.

"Nothing of note really. Dr. Walsh says that it looks like my womb is about as developed as a sixteen year old woman's would be. He keeps wondering if I will go through the same line shedding as a female does or not, and how it would work. He still wants me to come in every week to get checked over." My eyes rolled almost against my will.

"You know, if it wasn't for your medical conundrum, I'd say Nathan has the hots for you and that is why he's wanting to see you so often." Dreece smirked again, any concern for my well being fading once more.