Chapter 9

My gut twisted slightly at the sight or Rhett, remembering our lost conversations. He stood, weaving between the tables on his way over to Nathan and I. The arm around my waist tightened ever so slightly, a subtle reminder that I was here with someone.

"Hi, Rhett." My lips twitched into a small smile, doing their best to make it seem natural. He returned the smile with much more ease.

"Fancy seeing you here." He stood relaxed, hands in his pockets. "If I'd have known you liked greek I would have asked you to join me yesterday when you came over to get that stain remover."

"Oh umm..." My cheeks were warming ever so slightly.

"This is actually Ryan's first time having greek." Nathan stepped in, hugging me just a bit closer to his side, saving me from having to answer.

Rhett's eyes traveled over us, the smile falling slightly as he took in the intimate way I was being held.

"Oh... sorry I should introduce you both. Nathan, this is Rhett, he's one of Dreece's neighbors. Rhett this is Dr. Nathan Walsh my umm..." What was Nathan exactly? I'd love to call him my boyfriend but considering he had only just told me he didn't despise me that might be a stretch.

"His boyfriend. It's nice to meet you Rhett." Nathan held out his hand to shake Rhetts, once more saving me from trying to find an answer.

"I didn't realize you had a boyfriend Ryan." Rhett ignored the hand, his attention still somewhat on me as he spoke. "Well, I should get going and leave you two love birds alone. I'll see you around the apartment building Ryan."

He turned away the conversation over almost as quickly as it had begun, confusion bubbling through me. Nathan turned away grabbing our meals from the counter.

"I ordered our food to go, I thought we could sit outside and eat." Nathan spoke, gently nudging me toward the door. He didn't seem all that bothered by Rhett, so I shrugged it off, happy to let someone else take the lead.

Once we were both seated he would offer me a container of food. It was nearly half the size of his own, earning Nathan a frown.

"Since I wasn't sure if you would like it I only got you a half portion. They tend to be rather filling meals." Nathan supplied opening his container with a sigh. The smell of the food had my stomach growling, leaving me eager to try the meal he'd chosen for me.

Picking up a forkful I looked at the food, trying to figure out everything that was in it. A quick glance up showed that Nathan was frowning, hurrying me along to take the first bite.

"Mmm this is really good, thank you." It really was rather tasty, but the small portion worried me. It didn't feel like a very heavy meal and I didn't want to end up hungry during my shift.

"I'm glad you like it, it's also very nutrient rich so it will help you with slimming back up." Nathan ate slowly, taking his time as he did. He would only be half done when I finished my entire meal, my stomach still feeling more empty than full.

"So, your friend seemed... interesting."

"Hmm?" I glance up at Nathan, only then realizing I'd been staring at his container of food, contemplating asking for the rest of his. It took me a few moments to realize what he was even talking about. "Oh, you mean Rhett."

"Yes that biker from earlier." The slight bit of venom in Nathan's voice shocked me.

"Actually he's an auto mechanic. The leather jacket is a fall back from his time in the military." Dreece had filled me in on that information after the first time I'd ran into him at the elevator.