Chapter 24

Rhett kept his hand against my back as we entered the apartment building, a steady warmth keeping me grounded. My mind was still circling over what could have happened had he not shown up when he did.

"You doing okay?" He asked, careful to keep his voice gentle, as if I was made of glass. Even with his leather jacket on, I could feel the warmth of his presence next to me.

"I... I've been better," My voice wavered slightly, the temptation to move closer to him hard to ignore. "I don't know what might have happened if you hadn't walked in when you did. That... that man was..."

"He's a real piece of work." Rhett supplied, pressing the button to summon the elevator. "I'd love to say that he's harmless really, but given that he wasn't even that drunk... I don't think that would be an accurate assumption."

"Yeah..." The silence grew between us, the awkwardness that I'd thought was banished returning full force while we waited for the elevator. "So umm... what... what were you doing at the Little Bean?"

He sent me a guilty look before looking away, his face turning red at the question.

"Umm... would it be strange if I said I was looking for you? I've been thinking about our conversation and... well I do want to help as much as you will let me." Rhett ran a hand through his hair. The elevator announced it's arrival with a metallic ding, drawing his attention. "So umm... elevator, guess we should get on."

"Sure. I promise not to run you over this time." I offered him a weak smile, wondering just what he was offering with his help. Rhett nodded stepping into the elevator just as the door started to slide shut. He held it open, waiting for me.

Taking a deep breath I moved into the elevator, already wrapped in his scent thanks to his jacket.

"So... when you say you want to help... umm how exactly do you mean?" The question seemed to stick in my throat.

"Umm... well anything. If you need money to cover medical costs, or items for the baby. I have a lot of stuff from my niece... I mean the furniture and gender neutral items." He swallowed hard, glancing at me and then looking down at my stomach. "I just... I want to be involved as much as I can be."

"Okay... I mean I'll take what help I can get, but I don't want your money and until I've found a new place to live I'm not going to have space for furniture." I answered, the temptation to dig my phone out and check my email growing.

"And how is the search going?" Rhett asked, seeming to sense that my living situation was on my mind.

"It's... going. I turned in a few applications for nearby apartments, but they are probably all outside of my income range. I really want to find a two bedroom so the baby can have it's own room as it grows up." The elevator slid to a smooth stop, the door opening and letting us back out onto our floor.

"I can understand that. Do you have enough money for the down payment and first month's rent if your application is accepted." Rhett moved toward my apartment, his hand once more pressing gently against my back.

"No... Not if I want to be able to buy anything like food or water. I've been burning through my wardrobe as well thanks to the changes my body is going through." Heat filled my cheeks once more, no one wanted to hear about bodily changes.

"Well... I doubt Dreece is about to try and kick you out." Rhett smiled gently nudging me toward the apartment door. "This is your stop I think."

My hands wrapped into the soft leather of his jacket, unwilling to remove it and let the world see the shame I was hiding.

"I umm... do... do you want to come in for a moment? It's just... I umm... I don't feel the greatest about being alone." I swallowed hard offering a weak smile as I dug out my keys. Rhett nodded softly, his hand still pressed to my back offering support as I unlocked the door, slipping inside.