Chapter 10

The Little Bean always smelled like heaven when I got to work. The air heavy with the rich scent of freshly ground espresso. Steam seemed to be an ever-present addition near the coffee bar. Even this late in the afternoon the small shop was buzzing with patrons looking for that perfect bit of buzz to get through the rest of the workday and into the night.

Moving between the small wooden tables, I made my way to the staff area, slipping into our back room to pull on an apron. There were never more than two of us at the shop at a time, today was no different even though Michael, the store owner, had been the person manning the coffee bar and register out front.

Once I was satisfied with my appearance, I slipped back out into the main area, easily taking over at the register so Michael could start work on the customers' orders. We worked together familiarly, chatting idly between customers.

"I've got some paperwork to do for tomorrow morning's deposits Ryan, think you can hold down the fort until closing?" Michael asked after we finished serving our late evening round of regulars.

"Sure, do you want me to lock up without you if you aren't done by then?" I loved working evening shifts with a slower pace and a more relaxed environment. The first week of training had been hellish during the morning.

"I shouldn't be too long, but sure you know the routine by now to lock up on your own if need be." Michael grinned before sashaying his way up the stairs. I might have thought myself to be a bit on the small size, but Michael was a full-on twink. He barely looked legal, let alone the thirty-five years he was.

"You got it, boss." I shot Michael a look before turning back to the counter and starting the process of cleaning up.

Moving around the coffee shop, I'd find myself drawn almost magnetically to the pastry case. It was irritating because I was trying to avoid the extra sugar as Nathan had suggested. Being around chocolate, coffee, and sweets all day was making it almost impossible though.

The ding of the bell above the door stirred me from my staring contest with a sugar-crusted scone, dragging my attention to the customer that had just walked in. The faint smell of whiskey added another layer of heat and spice to the air, making my cheeks flooded with warmth.

"I hope you weren't planning on eating one of those, babe?" Nathan said softly, the disappointment in his voice clear. He moved deeper into the shop, looking around with a mixture of disinterest and scorn.

"I... no I was just wondering if it was too early to put them away for the night." I lied, hoping the small tremor in my voice wouldn't give me away. The glare Nathan sent me filled me with dread he'd noticed the lie.

"I don't know if working here is the best place for you, babe. With your intelligence you should be working in a lab, taking the information we've gathered to be used for the greater good of humanity." Nathan replied, sending a withering look at the pastel-colored paintings that adorned the walls.

"I... I mean I rather like working here, and it's a nice break and change of pace from lab work." I shrugged moving to the register, wondering if Nathan was here just to criticize the place. "Did you want anything to drink? I'm getting rather good at making different types of coffee."

"Rather good is an understatement there Ry." Michaels' voice seemed to appear behind me as he patted my shoulder and moved next to me. "You're practically a natural with all these gadgets."

"Well, I had a pretty damn good teacher." I shot back, grinning at Michael. Nathan looked at my boss over with curiosity.

"I mean my veins are filled with coffee if you ask Rhett so I think I'll take that as a compliment," Michael replied before turning toward Nathan. "I'm going to guess that you are the infamous Dr. Walsch. Ryan here used to never shut up about you."