Book 1;3

I remember the day my brothers were told about how much money they needed to qualify to be in the pro-bending championship. My brothers might've been these successful probenders that played on the radio every night, but we weren't rich! Far from it actually I felt so guilty because I couldn't help them, and realistically everything fell on Mako. Sure I had my job at Mrs. Yang's shop sweeping and dusting off her antiques, but that was only once a week after school, and I wasn't paid much. She'd give me some change, we'd eat an apple together, and then I'd fix her radio. It was great and all, but it wasn't nearly enough to help my brothers, and I wasn't old enough to work a real job. It was a lot on me. I wanted nothing more than to help them, but I couldn't, and that destroyed me.
...

I sigh to myself, and I look down at my shoes as I anxiously bounce on my tippy toes. I'm just so stressed about this entire thing. Why weren't we told about the championship pot earlier. I would've saved all of my money, every single yuan I've ever earned!

"What's wrong, Hazel Nut?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing," I tell Bolin, not looking at him.

"Come on, I know my little sister."

"It's hard to explain..." I trail off.

"Just take your time," he encourages.

"I dont know... I kinda just wish I could pay the 30,000 yuans for you guys, but I can't. I feel useless. I mean, do you know how many antiques I'd have to dust at Ms. Yang's to afford that?"

"Awwe, Li," Korra says as she wraps me in her arms.

"Are you kidding me!" Bolin exclaims. "Useless? You're an inspiration! If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even try in life, and I definitely wouldn't be a pro-bender. You're the smartest, coolest person I know, and you shouldn't feel guilty about anything."

"Cooler than Mako?" I ask with a smile.

"Way cooler," Korra answers.

"And I know Mako would agree. We love you," Bolin smiles.

"I love you guys, too!"

And the three of us embrace

...

My worst nightmare was losing my brothers. I had no one but them. Our parents were gone and we had no idea about our other family, if they were still in Ba Sing Se or even alive for that matter, so Bolin being captured by the Equalist was something we never prepared for, and it put me in a panic. And not only was I scared by this new threat, so was my city.

I saw how Republic City changed. I knew there was serious tension between benders and nonbenders, and maybe it was because of how young I was when it all happened, but I didn't think it would turn into a full out war! Republic City was suppose to be this melting pot where people from all over, regardless If they can bend or not, live together in peace and harmony. It was the place where my mother and father, Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom, came together and raised a family. I hated what my home was becoming.

... The Equalist. 10 years later and saying that name still makes my blood boil. They were a group of people who felt that the world would be a better place if bending no longer exist. This 'movement' was lead by a man who I know all too well. Even thinking about him makes me shudder. Amon had the power to take ones bending away, a power that even a non bender shuddered at. The day Bolin was captured, was the first of many terrifying events.