Book 2;2

"What do you mean I'm staying here now?!"

Mako and Bolin wheeled me into Katara's compound this morning and told me they've decided that I'm staying here for physical therapy and some healing sessions with Katara, while they accompany Korra and her training with her uncle. I thought they were taking me here to get to know Katara since Avatar Aang is my favorite Avatar, but I guess not. They've tricked me yet again.

"If it makes you feel any better, Asami isn't going either. Haha, yeah..." Bolin's voice trails off as he tries to lighten the mood.

"Oh yes, she's really missing out. Too bad she has to spend time with one of the coolest and richest investors ever, poor her. Oh yes, I feel much better now," I say sarcastically with a pout.

"Come on, stop being a brat. You get a chance to be healed by the greatest healer in the world. That's cool, too," Mako tries to reason.

"I'm a brat? Have you met your girlfriend?! Of course I'm upset, you guys get to see the spirits and witness Korra open the southern portal. Meanwhile I'll be here sitting in a tub of water waiting for my legs to work again," I say as I roll my eyes at their foolishness. "Come on, Mako, you have to understand where I'm coming from, can't I just go this time? Pleaseeeee, Koko! Please, Boli. You guys promised to spend time with me on this trip, and you haven't!"

There's no way they can resist this. I even called them by their nicknames I gave them when I was little for a little extra flavor.

I know I'm being childish, but I'm in the most beautiful place in the world. I have a chance to see the spirits and really watch Korra connect more with her spiritual side. It's not fair if I can't see any of that. They've already ditched me at the fair, they owe me this.

"Ok, you can go," Bolin gives in.

Yes!

"No," Mako corrects.

No!

"I promise we'll be back as soon as possible, and we'll spend some big brother and little sister time together. For the time being, Asami will be checking in on you. We love you," Mako says, and then kisses my forehead before walking out of the room.

"Yeah, love you, too," I pout.

"Sorry, Li. I love you," Bolin says as he kisses me goodbye and then walks out of the room.

And I'm alone.

...

Up late again, all by myself. I'm starting to get use to being alone. I've been in this compound for a couple of days now, and so far, we haven't done anything but talk about how I feel about being in this wheelchair. I have no idea what that has to do with my physical therapy, but the more I cooperate, the faster I can get out of here. I'm just annoyed, I signed up for physical therapy, not therapy therapy to talk about my feelings.

I don't sleep much anymore, I usually spend my nights at this window. My head leaned against the window sill. It's so dark out there, and it's freezing. I wonder how the trip is going. I hope Bolin didn't forget his jacket, and I hope Korra didn't kill Mako by now. They've probably seen so many ancient spirits.

Moments pass and I sit up straight when I see a single beam of light suddenly erupt from the earth. It lights up the night sky, and just like that, it isn't so dark anymore.

"Whoaaa..." I whisper.

It's miles and miles away, yet still so bright. 

'What's is that?!'

I quickly back away from the window and wheel myself to the door. Immediately I'm greeted by the cold air. I ignore it and wheel myself halfway out the doorframe anyway. There it is! It's so... Beautiful. I smile, and I quickly wipe a tear that falls down my cheek. The southern portal is finally open after being closed for so long. This is a big step for the south, a big step for spirits and humans, and a big step for Korra and all the past Avatars. Korra and our relationship isn't the same, I'll admit, but she'll always be my family whether she likes it or not. We're stuck with each other, and I'll always be proud of her, even if she has a big head.