Book 3;2

Li Na

Here it is.

My hands are sweaty, I feel jittery. I'm a nervous wreck. A letter from my dream school. They're offering me a spot in their program for future inventors. Well... one of my dream schools. For the past few months, I have been in contact with 3 schools who are offering me a spot in their science and math programs for technology, and discussing details about the programs they offer. The problem is, this school is the best one out of the three, and it finally came!- An official offer. Only they're not offering me a full scholarship unlike the others. I would have to pay out of pocket to stay on campus, and they're only paying for my classes up to a year!

I know what you're thinking, 'But Li Na, you haven't even finished high school?' I was thinking the same thing until I saw they were offering me a dual enrollment, meaning I'll be attending college and high school at the same time. I really love this school, but I just don't know if I'm ready to leave my brothers for that amount of time. Who's going to help Mako make dinner? Who's going to hug Bolin when he has a nightmare? Who's going to give Pabu a bath? Who's going to play Pai Sho with me when I'm bored? There's a lot that goes into this. It's such a hard decision to make, especially now that we're heading to Ba Sing Se to find more airbenders. This is the first time in a while since Team Avatar has had all five of us working together, would it be wise to give this all up?

"Hey, Li!" Korra says as she barges into my room.

"We're about to leave," she says with a smile, and then her eyes shift to the letter I have in my hand. "Hey, what do you have there?"

"Oh, nothing! Just some light reading," I say, and smile awkwardly while shoving the piece of paper in my satchel.

"Oh, ok! Well, Asami just arrived with our ride to Ba Sing Se, it's gigantic!"

"Cool! I don't mind bunking with Bolin, but Mako probably wants his own space."

"Um..." Korra trails off. "You may want to talk to Mako, he says he's not coming."

"Not coming? Why not?" I ask confused.

"He says it's because of work, but I think it's because he still feels awkward about being around me and Asami."

I roll my eyes and get my stuff ready for our trip.

"I'm going to go talk to him," I tell her.

"Ok, but don't be too long! Tenzin says we're leaving in 5 minutes."

"Kk!"

...

"Makoooo, but why not?" I whine.

He is being ridiculous! I had to stop him from making his escape, and now Bolin is trying to convince him to come with us. I understand that he feels weird about being with Korra and Asami, but what about Bolin and I? We'll be there, too! And so will Tenzin and Bumi. Plus, Asami and Korra don't even care!

"Korra already asked. I can't just leave Republic City. I have a life here, and a job," he says to Bolin and I.

"A life?" Bolin sputters. "You sleep under your desk. And what's a more important job than helping the Avatar rebuild an entire civilization?"

"It's not just that," Mako says as he turns away from us. "I feel like I've been drifting apart from everyone."

My face softens. I definitely know how he feels. I felt the same way back at the Poles.

"Well, drift back in. We need you! C'mon Mako, we're going to Ba Sing Se where dad grew up! What if Li and I meet our grandma for the very first time and she asks us, 'Where's your sweet brother?' and I have to say, 'I'm sorry Grandma, he had some really important police paperwork to file,' and she starts to cry those grandma tears, and is like, Mako! Why? Why? I can't go on, I ca- and then she dies," Bolin says dramatically.