Catch up

Albus and yourself met up the following day. He had got you a room in town and even paid for your stay. The pair of you were meeting for lunch.

You sat at a table in the busy pub, watching the others around you go about their business.

You sat there waiting for Albus to arrive, but your thoughts seemed to drift off to another wizard.

"I wonder what he's doing now." You muttered yourself. Gellert Grindelwald was on your mind. You knew it was risky for him to reply to your letter, but you wondered if it got to him alright.

"You seem lost in thought." Albus voice rang out. You looked up and smiled at him as he sat down opposite you, placing two drinks on the table.

"Yes, sorry. Glad you made it. It's been ages since I was last here." You chuckled. "The place hasn't changed a bit."

"You'll find a lot of places round here still look the same."

"Yeah, pretty nostalgic."

"How long are you here for?" He sipped his drink.

"A few days only."

"It's nice of you to come see me, even though we weren't friends." His smile was sad looking.

"Just because we weren't friends then, doesn't mean we can't be friend now." You sipped for drink.

"It would be nice to stay in contact with you."

"Is... Aberforth still in London? I'd like to see him before I leave." You weren't sure how to ask him subtly.

"I think so. Like I said, we don't talk much any more.

"I know. I'm sorry. I won't mention him again." You took a large gulp this time.

"It's alright. I'm not mad." Albus' smile looked a little more convincing this time.

"So, defence against the dark arts?" You raised a perfectly arched brow at the wizard.

"Someone has to teach them to defend themselves." He was grinning. "It's a dark time."

"You mean with Grindelwald? He does sound frightening." Albus didn't need to know the truth. "I wonder where he is now."

"You heard about his escape from MACUSA then?" He asked curiously.

"Everyone heard about it, Albus." I was there.

"Of course. No one knows where he's hiding. After Paris, everyone lost sight of him." Albus drank his drink casually.

"So I hear. So you're teaching students to defend themselves in case that cross paths with Grindelwald?" You frowned. "How would they be able to stop him? He has the elder wand."

"I'm teaching them to defend themselves against the darkness. I know all too well what it can do to a person." Albus sighed.

"That sounds personal."

"It is. That's a story for another time."

"Alright." You looked out of the window.

"How did you know he has the elder wand?" Dumbledore looked at you with confusion written all over this face.

"The aurors who went over to stop him weren't exactly quiet about it when they got back. Well, the ones who made it back. I hear many of them were killed trying to stop Grindelwald." You mused. You spoke so confidently, you were sure Albus couldn't catch on.

"Of course. The ministry did share some of what happened."

"Why are you questioning me? Do you think I'm one of his fans or something?"

"Of course not. Why would you? He's manipulative." Albus looked you in the eye. "Don't fall to the darkness. He'll only lie to you and use you."

"Albus... have more faith in me." I'm sorry I'm lying to you.

Albus sat back in his seat.

"I should probably head off. If you look hard enough, you might find my brother." He stood up and left.

You sighed and sunk into your seat.

You wrote to Grindelwald about your chat with Dumbledore, but as before, you didn't get a reply.

Gellert did see for letter, he hoped you could keep up the facade for a while longer. It would do you no good for Albus to catch onto you now.

He'd give you another day before he requested your presence back.