Dumbledore's thoughts

As you probably guessed this chapter focuses on Dumbledore. It's just something I wanted to add.You don't have to read this one if you don't want to. You can skip straight to the end.

Albus Dumbledore sat in the headmaster's office, his office, and lost himself in his thoughts.

It had been years since the arrest of Gellert Grindelwald and no one forgot the things he did, the lengths he went to. Even today, there were wizards who claimed they were doing Grindelwald's work. They weren't really a threat though.

Albus remembered when he was a young man. The day he met Grindelwald was burned into his mind and he couldn't help but smile at the image of Gellert in younger days. Tall, blonde and handsome.

It didn't matter to him back then that this young man had just been suspended from a school that excels at dark magic because they were concerned about his deep interest in the matter. He was too busy being caught up in the way Gellert talked to him. He was passionate about the Deathly Hallows and where they were.

Albus was interested too.

The pain it brought to be Gellert's friend was unbearable in the end because Albus was neglecting his family. His sister needed him and he wasn't there. It's why he had to stop.

Sometimes he wondered what he would do if he knew back then what he knew now. Would he change any of it? He usually came to the answer that he wouldn't. In a way he was happy with how things turned out, despite losing so much in life.

Dumbledore stood from his desk and walked over to the window. Even now it hurt to think about it. He wanted to rid himself of these thoughts and think about happier things.

A knock on his door interrupted his depressing thought process and caused him to shake his head and gather himself. He was glad. Albus was sure his thoughts would have only got worse if he was left alone for much longer.

"Enter."

It was Newt Scamander.

"Ah, Newt. It's so good to see you again!" The two wizards greeted each other and Albus waved his hand making the tea set prepare itself.

Dumbledore was so happy to see a familiar face. A face that had aged well be night add. Newt still looked like Newt, just a few years added on.

"It's been a while." Newt smiled. "How is Credence?"

Thought it had been a while since they last saw each other, Newt didn't want it to feel like two old friends reuniting. He wanted it to feel natural like they talked all the time, so he got straight to the point.

"He's well, and Tina?"

Albus already felt like they did this on a weekly basis with how often they wrote. He was glad Newt was getting on with the conversation.

"She's at home with the boys. We're all good."

The pair settled down and enjoyed their tea and snacks. Albus felt grateful that his dear friend had taken time to come and visit him. It was so muchnjcer to see his friends in person, that way he felt like they were still with always, even though he sometimes felt so far away from them.

"Have you heard much about... Grindelwald?" Newt asked after a while, he wasn't sure he should ask, but he could see it in Albus' eyes that there was something on his mind.

"No. Not really. Last I heard he thanked me."

"Thanked you? What for?"

It was true. Albus had received a letter from a warden at the prison. He had been asked to send a letter to Albus and thank him.

"He thanked me because he had Y/N by his side. I can only imagine the misery I would caused them if I hadn't done that. Neither one of them would have forgiven me for driving them apart."

"I sometimes wonder if Y/N is actually happy with their choice, or if she actually made it willingly. How do we know he wasn't still brainwashing them in the end?"

"If you had seen them the way I had that day, you would know how honest they were being. The way he looked at them hurt. They hugged him and he couldn't return the gesture because he was tied up. He wanted to comfort them so badly and he couldn't."

"They're together, that's the important thing then. It must bring you some comfort." Newt sipped from his cup.

"Comfort?"

"Knowing he isn't going to die alone in that prison." Newt grimaced slightly. "Sorry."

"No, you're right. I'm glad he has someone with him." Dumbledore smiled as he thought about it.

"Oh, I have some good news for you, Dumbledore." Newt put his cup down.

"What is it?"

Newt dug around in his pocket and took a few moments to search for something, becoming irritated when he couldn't find it right away. Then he smiled as he pulls don't a small card.

"You've been recognised as the one who defeated Grindelwald and locked him up." Newt slid the chocolate frog card across the desk and watched his old professor pick it up.

"Would you look at that?" He chuckled. "I've got a card!"

"I'll take my leave now, I need to get back home. It was good seeing you again."

"Alright Newt. You'll consider lecturing the children on magical beasts won't you? I'd very much like it if you did, no one knows more than you do."

"I'll consider it." Newt smiled softly and then left.

Dumbledore cleaned up the tea set and sat back down in his quiet, and now lonely, office. The Elder wand rested near his hand and it was just another reminder of Grindelwald.

"Are you happy I wonder." He whispered, looking at the wand. "Is she happy?" He knew deep down you were.

If only things had ended differently. He wished they had, maybe then he would have you both by his side and he could say confidently that he was happy.

That's all he wanted.

His friends back.