Missing links

This chapter focuses a lot on what happened during the ten year time jump.

A few months after going into hiding you had spent a lot of that time teaching Credence spells that would be of use to him. You told him not to mention that you had helped him so much, just guided him to impress Grindelwald some more.

Gellert was already impressed with the amount of progress that had been made. He knew you had done a lot to help and praised you also. You were looked up to among the followers.

During those years you have received two letters from your friends in the UK. One from Albus who tried so hard to get you to change your mind one last time, the other from Aberforth who said he forgave you for your choice, but wishes you had made another. As long as your body wasn't being sent to them, they would trust Grindelwald to not harm you.

Doubt was always settled in the air and their hearts however.

About 3 years after Paris you had gone with a small group of witches and wizards to Brazil. It was the furthest you had gone from the safe house since France. It was a small mission, but as soon as word of Newt and company being present, you immediately retreated back to the safe house. Newt had no idea you were even there, streets away from his location. It was best he didn't see you. It would have complicated things.

Grindelwald's followers were growing all the time, and the ministry's were non the wiser. They tried so hard to capture them, but success was hard.

Queenie had a pile of letters in her room addressed to Jacob, but non of them sent. She didn't want to risk being found by the ministry. She had shown them to you and talked about all the things she wanted to say to him, but couldn't. She had told you about the dreams she had sometimes, about their last conversation together and how much it broke her heart that she shouted at him the way she did. Often she would come to your room in the middle of the night to seek comfort. Though that happened a lot less after Grindelwald started spending the night with you.

There was also the night when Gellert told you about his past with Albus. You were aware they had become friends when they were younger, but didn't quite know how close they were.

The pair of you were sat by the fire next to one another. His arm was around you as your head rested on his shoulder. This had become a common sight.

"I want to share with you something very people know." He said out of the blue.

"What is it?"

"Albus Dumbledore. You're aware we have history?"

"Of course. The way you speak of him, you must know him very well."

"Very well. Probably more than anyone."

You looked up at him, his eyes were focused forwards on the fire, his jaw was tense and you could see the thoughts flying through his head from his eyes alone.

"Tell me." You said softly.

"We were lovers." He stated. "Albus had developed feelings for me while I was living over there. We were going to go after the Deathly Hallows and fulfil this dream together." He took a moment to think. "Then there was an accident. Aberforth called Albus out for focusing more on me and our plans than his own sister. We fought."

"And?"

"His sister perished during our duel. Our spells hit her due to her involvement and I left Albus there with his brother."

"You didn't see him again for a while, right?"

"Correct. Not that I could do anything if I did. We made a blood pact."

"Which he has."

"And can't do anything with it."

"Are you sure? No offence, I have total faith in you and your ideals, but he is Albus Dumbledore." You kept your gaze on him.

"Well, we will see." He looked down at you with a grin.

"Do you have feelings for him, still?" You tugged at his lapel gently as you wanted for his answer.

"Any feelings I have for Albus n longer compare to those I have for you." His thumb brushed your cheek in feather light touch.

"So, that's a yes?"

His lips twitched upwards.

"Perhaps. You're my focus now." He gave you a kiss. "Don't forget that."

You didn't. That night was always on your mind. His honesty. His feelings. He was exposed to you. If anything you were falling even more in love with him.

The day came when the time for hiding was over.

Gellert gathered you all and the word got out among the following. The time to rise had come. No more hiding. It was time to make a statement again.

You reached out for his hand and held your wand in the other.

The plan had to go on.

You had your mission and you wouldn't fail him. You wouldn't.

It was time for you to go back to Paris.