Overlooked

You had gone back to school to see Albus again. He was waiting for you in his class room. He wasn't alone, however.

Behind him stood two familiar faces, not ones you knew personally, but you had seen them before.

"Hello Albus." You smiled at him.

He returned the smile as he looked at you.

"Nice to see you again, I thought you would be looking for Aberforth today." He trailed off as he said his brother's name.

"I waned to, but my first thought when I woke up was of you. I figured I'd come see you again." You said sweetly.

"That's very nice of you. This is Newt Scamander and his brother Theseus." Albus gestured to respective brother. "They were students of mine, Newt is magizoologist and Theseus is an auror."

You tried to not to let it show you that this information bothered you.

Neither of the brothers were reacting negatively, so it was possible they didn't recognise you from the rally in Paris. A lot happened that night, so they certainly had a lot to focus on.

"Hello." You smiled at them.

"Hello." Newt smiled shyly back.

Theseus' smile was a lot more confident as he came over and gave you a hug.

"Dumbledore has told us a little about you, nice to meet you." He gave your back a pat before letting go of you.

"Oh, thank you." You blinked a couple of times. You didn't really hug people on the first meeting, but at least you knew he was friendly.

"Shall we sit?" Dumbledore offered each of you a seat.

Tea and cake was being served from the wave of his wand and the conversation picked up.

"Newt and Theseus have returned from Paris recently. Grindelwald was there." Albus said, cutting himself a slice of cake.

"Is that so?" You gave no reaction.

"Yes. He is extremely powerful, with words as well as magic. His follower count grows with each passing day." Newt replied.

"Grindelwald is frightening. There is no doubt about that. He has more power than any wizard I've ever heard of. I can only imagine what he's capable of." You poured yourself some tea.

"When are you leaving us?" Albus asked.

"I'm not sure yet, soon I'd imagine." You took a sip from your cup. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason. Be careful won't you? Grindelwald is unpredictable and I won't be able to see what happens next." Albus was giving you a strange look.

"What are you saying?"

"Nothing really. Just make sure you make the right choices and stay out of trouble. It's a dark world were living in."

Theseus and Newt were sharing a look.

There was meaning to Albus' words, but the man was an enigma. He had many layers to him and finding the meaning of his words took a lot of work.

"I'll be safe. I can handle myself." You looked over the rim of your cup.

"I have no doubt about that."

You lowered the cup and took to eating your slice of cake. You should have known it would be hard to keep anything from Dumbledore. Albus always had a keen eye and sharp mind.

You had overlooked the possibility that he knew you were in Paris, but hadn't mentioned it to the brothers.

To which you where thankful.

The conversation became normal, no one mentioned Paris again, Albus would keep giving you slight looks every once in a while.

The other two either didn't pick up on it or didn't ask about it.

Albus dismissed the brothers and waited till they were at least halfway down the hall before turning to you.

"Does he speak of me?"

"A little. Mostly on how you're standing in our way. You're the one person who's stopping him from reaching his goal."

"Is that all he says about me?"

"It's all I've heard. He doesn't talk much of himself and I'm only slightly aware you two share history. I don't know any details."

Albus leaned against his desk.

"Why are you working with him?" He didn't sound angry.

"It was by accident, I swear. I was at MACUSA the night they moved him. I had stayed on the rooftop when everyone else left, who I thought was Abernathy was there too. It wasn't until I was on that carriage that I knew what had happened. He just sort of... took me with him."

"I see. He's not here now, why don't you just leave? You do not have to follow him, he has nothing against you... does he?"

"No. If I just left he'd know. He's send someone to come looking for me." You turned to the window and looked outside. It had begun to rain.

"Why would he do that?" Albus frowned.

"Because he trusts me. He sent me here to look for you, your brother being my excuse really. It's just like how you went Newt to Paris. You probably sent him to New York too." You turned around to look at him.

"Why did he send you?"

"I didn't really ask. To befriend you, that's all I got from him."

"Curious."

An owl tapped against the window of the classroom, you let it in ignoring the puddle it made as bit stepped onto the window ledge. On its beak was a soaking letter. With a wave of your wand it dried up nicely and you could read it.

"What is it?" Albus asked, pushing from his desk to come to you.

"He's calling for my return." You folded the letter.

"Don't go."

"I can't stay."

"You can. Show him you don't believe in his movement. Move against him."

"Albus... I can't. He trusts me."

"You don't have to do as he says."

You looked at Albus for a good while, your thoughts running a mile a minute.

Gellert waited for your reply to announce your return, but an owl never came. Hours he waited.

He stared at a vase of roses with a sharp intense glare. The flowers began to wilt as his fist balled up into a fist. In his head he knew you hadn't abandoned him, you wouldn't. He trusted you.

"Krall."

The acolyte entered the room.

"Yes?"

"Pack your things. I need you to go to Scotland. She'll be there with him, bring her home."

"Yes, sir."

Gellert barely spared him a glance. All the flowers in the room had begun to wilt.